Siren?

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
Tom
Ooma Moderator
Re: Siren?

Post by Tom » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:55 am

homeforus, could you comment on my question: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=21311&start=10#p141841

homeforus

Post by homeforus » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:52 pm

Tom wrote:Which events should have siren capability? Open or also close? Wet or also dry? Motion or also no motion?
Obviously open. Close? I can't think of a reason for that one but could be persuaded. Motion for sure, and again can't think of a reason for no motion. I guess wet or dry could go either way depending on how people use it but, wet makes the most sense for a siren.

So for me, it's just the main obvious ones -- open, motion and wet.

Currently I have my system set to ring my ooma home phone if my "night mode" alarm is triggered. I would probably do the same thing for a siren. I have more than once forgotten the "night" mode was on, opened a door, and had all the phones in the house ringing. This has been one of the usability pitfalls for Ooma, is that I don't always carry my smartphone with me all over the house, and there's no other way to turn off the system like a keypad. I also have people who need to have access to my house on a somewhat routine basis but only for a short while. Do I just leave the system disarmed when they are coming? Do I give them app access? This is a tough issue when the system doesn't have a keypad.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:41 pm

Examples where a closed alert is needed are rooms with a litter box or doggie door, or windows that need to stay open for ventilation purposes. No motion alert is of use in a baby room, elderly person's home, or homes of people requiring certain medication like diabetics, or as an alternate CO/CH4 warning method. A dry alert is of use in an aquarium, radiator humidifier, or certain plants.

Now a siren is not needed in some of these examples because they're typically used to scare off burglars and/or to wake you up, but a phone call is an alternate emergency notification.

Improvements for the issues you mention are in development.

Bill W

Post by Bill W » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:51 am

Just talked to my insurance carrier about the Ooma home security system. I do not qualify for a local security system discount because i do not have a siren or strobe lights attached. Awaiting the siren to buy. Also the alarm system does not qualify for a central alarm system certificate for that discount either.

j2carte

Post by j2carte » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:46 pm

I've also been waiting to buy a Siren as well as CO/Smoke/Fire detectors, and an outdoor camera that can be powered off the doorbell circuit. BUT, I've recently tried to implement Geo-fencing and am really happy I don't currently have a siren. :(