Siren?

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
nickb
Re: Siren?

Post by nickb » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:44 pm

I have home security through a local company. I am not happy with them and am considering the Ooma system, or something similar. BUT, the siren is a must. I actually have the siren in place from the existing system. Hoping I can integrate it.

ryanalls1

Post by ryanalls1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:41 pm

The day they release a siren is the day Ill buy into it. I would take the siren option over any other feature to be honest. I would think any home security system would provide that option to deter intruders on the spot.

I've been a premier user for several years now.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:23 pm

Which events should have siren capability? Open or also close? Wet or also dry? Motion or also no motion?

tjwitman

Post by tjwitman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:35 pm

I would have another button on the phone app right aside of the 911 button for the siren. Keep control in our hands and not in the hands of a system that RIGHT NOW isn't even working! It would also keep the neighbors happier.

My reference to 'not working' has to do with my system not acknowledging any changes in the status of my sensors! I don't know how long I've even been without protection.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Your telo ran into the 970 bug referenced here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21338. The telo has now upgraded to the release that fixes this bug.

But please consider my question above. Would it be useful for you to regard a closed door, or a dry water sensor, as an emergency?

tjwitman

Post by tjwitman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:20 pm

Thanks Tom. Yes, it is working again. Shouldn't something as important to home security be pushed to all those who have ooma security products?

As to the siren, I would only consider it for door/window openings and motion triggering. Again I myself would rather have the option of triggering the siren after receiving the alert. Having had remote monitoring services in the past, I know common sense is usually missing!

An additional audio alert might satisfy the craving for a siren. That could be a prerecorded message repeated several times on the Telo telling the intruder that they have been detected and the police have been dispatched. The volume level of the Telo would be overridden to maximum. This would happen automatically upon motion or entry and not irritate the neighbors. I would actually rather have this than a siren.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:24 pm

Thank you. The update was pushed to all OHS customers but some telo required a power cycle.

tjwitman

Post by tjwitman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:00 pm

Thanks

exjohndoe

Post by exjohndoe » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:17 pm

Tom wrote:Which events should have siren capability? Open or also close? Wet or also dry? Motion or also no motion?
Why not all of these as user selectable? Plus a manual trigger via panic button on the mobile app?

homeforus

Post by homeforus » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:17 am

Anyone notice the siren Ooma just announced? Looks like it's part of the new product announcements for CES. Also new are a smoke alarm and a garage door sensor?

https://www.ooma.com/home-security/