Siren?

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
nickb
Siren?

Post by nickb » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:17 am

I have had Ooma telephone, and researched the security system a year or more ago. At that time, there was no siren option, and no easy work-around to put a (non-Ooma) siren in the system. I currently have a traditional home security system and would be interested in switching to Ooma, but not having a siren is a deal killer. Has Ooma come up with a siren (or a work-around to include one) yet?
Bonus question: With my current security system, I have not had monthly monitoring for several years now. We have a siren that can be heard in the next county, and I live 20 minutes from the nearest police barracks. When the alarm goes off, any thief who does not die from a heart attack from that siren will go running into the night when he meets my wife and three rabid teenage daughters. If the females and I aren't home, he has an incredibly limited time to get off the property before the neighbors meet him at the back door with a shotgun and a shovel. The monthly monitoring is not a selling point to me at all. The only thing I'm interested in is the system making noise when a sensor is tripped. Is monthly monitoring required?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: Siren?

Post by Tom » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:08 pm

stay tuned for announcements around CES time

EFlores

Post by EFlores » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:17 pm

Hey Tom, what is the time frame for this to happen? I have purchased several security items for my home and plan to buy about 5 more doors and windows sensors and 4 more water detectors but I am waiting of an option of a Siren, it would be a deal maker for me, please advise.

Thanks,

EFlores

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:43 am

CES starts January 9, 2018.

http://www.ces.tech/
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

EFlores

Post by EFlores » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:47 am

Ok, thanks for the info. :)

homeforus

Post by homeforus » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:40 am

Tom B wrote:stay tuned for announcements around CES time
Tom, is this for real or just wishful thinking? Given the lack of follow up on the system this year, and others coming onto the market, I'm close to just bagging my Ooma system and switching to Ring once it start shipping. Ooma has just been too slow on rolling features out to give me much confidence in what's coming in January (the first timeline I've heard btw).

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:52 am

there's always announcements around CES time

jtykal

Post by jtykal » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:11 am

+1
I have a local security system (no monitoring, but it does call me when triggered) that I'm considering replacing with Ooma Home Security. The lack of a siren and smoke/fire detector keeps me from pulling the trigger.
Tom B -- I've been an Ooma Premier customer for years, and was part of the first Telo beta program. Need any beta testers for new Home Security products? ;)

Jayski

Post by Jayski » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:05 am

+1

Although I am only 1 year into the Premier subscription, I also would LOVE to have the option of a siren add on for my Ooma system. I haven't yet dropped the hammer for the security system due in part to having no audible alarm to warn off any unwanted intruders.
I'm in Canada and if there is a BETA program to test and provide feedback, data logs, recommendations, etc I would enjoy being a part of that.
Please just let me know if I can help in any way Tom.
To date I have recommended the service to a dozen or so friends and colleagues, and of those, 3 have switched from copper telco lines to Ooma and have nothing but great feedback.
Please note I'm not in sales lol. I actually enjoy Ooma and the savings it provides me.
Thanks!

safebustr

Post by safebustr » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:21 pm

I am a new user and also want an external siren. Just the ability to have access to a contact closure, open collector output or any way to get a usable level change will work. I already have in place 2 35 watt external sirens that were used on a previous now defunct system. By the way, love the ability to control system by phone but the external noise maker is almost a necessity in my area.