OOMA Telo voice announcements when changing modes

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
TWG
OOMA Telo voice announcements when changing modes

Post by TWG » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:11 pm

It's not clear to me from previous threads whether I'm not doing this right or whether this is a "bug" or "feature".

Basically, when I switch from Home to Night mode, the Telo makes a voice announcement "door X is closed" "Window Y is closed" ...etc.

I can avoid this by selecting "pause all notifications for 5min" before I make the switch.

In the app, under "System notifications", the "scheduled mode switches" option is turned off, similarly with "user manually switches mode" is off as well but it doesn't make the Telo stop the voice announcements when changing modes.

Is this expected behaviour ? Or am I not using it properly ?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: OOMA Telo voice announcements when changing modes

Post by Tom » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:08 pm

When did this last happen? Not finding prompt plays in your log around mode switches.

TWG

Post by TWG » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:41 pm

I have disabled automatically scheduling home security to night mode at 11:30pm because the voice prompts are too loud and could wake the kids. I manually switch but always have to remind myself to select "pause notifications for 5min" ...

I've always seen this behaviour...

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:12 am

If the mode you are changing to has a change in sensor reporting which would normally result in a notification, the telo speaks the notification because it thinks the change just occured. The telo doesn't announce the MODE CHANGE if that is turned off in the settings, just the sensor status if it is in a state to report a notification in the new mode.

I hope this makes sense. It took me awhile to figure it out and keep the telo silent when it changes to night mode because I am usually already sleeping when this happens.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:48 am

A sensor alert notify would happen at mode change if that new mode enables notifies AND the sensor is in an alert state, like an open door or motion.

TWG

Post by TWG » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:07 am

That second condition isn't being considered I find. This morning when my telo switched back to home mode from night mode, I heard it make the announcements "patio door closed for 50 hrs" "front door closed for 20hrs" "garage door closed for 30hrs" .. And went thru all the doors.

Also just now at 7:02am. I'm having breakfast and I heard the telo say "patio door is closed" "garage door is closed" . We didn't trigger these doors. There was nothing on the log either...

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:20 pm

Do you have these sensors set to send a notification when they are CLOSED? You probably do and that's why the telo is reporting their status when it changes modes.

If you set your sensors to send a notification only when an ABNORMAL condition exists, the telo won't say anything when it changes modes.

By the way EVERY EVENT whether it sends a notification or not should appear in the log for every paired sensor. Even if you disable all notifications for a sensor, the log will show it's behavior.

TWG

Post by TWG » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:52 am

Thanks, I finally figured that out myself last night!!

Unfortunately the telo went off line so couldn't test it this morning lol...

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated