Request: Temperature Monitor Home Security

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
rantech
Request: Temperature Monitor Home Security

Post by rantech » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:08 pm

I would like to propose Ooma come out with a temperature sensor with confirgurable high and low temperature alarms for the home security system.

This would allow users in cold climates to set a notification alarm for low temperature (furnace not working) or in hot climates for high temperature (air conditioner not working). On a recent trip away from home my furnace stopped working and I can't find any good relatively inexpensive temperature sensor that I can purchase to do this. This should be pretty easy and inexpensive to add to the home security suite?

Ben Ellison

Re: Request: Temperature Monitor Home Security

Post by Ben Ellison » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:23 pm

I agree. My home is in Maine and it's a big deal to know if the furnace has failed when travelling during the winter.

I do think that's possible to modify the water sensor so that a thermostatically controlled relay made the connection between the pins, but I have not found a simple way to do that.

Ben Ellison

Re: Request: Temperature Monitor Home Security

Post by Ben Ellison » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:19 pm

Mission accomplished! I used a $13 Lerway 110v All-Purpose Temperature Controller from Amazon to make an Ooma Water Sensor into a low temperature sensor that alerts me when the house temp goes under 60 degrees. You get to set the temperature that turns the relay on and there is another relay that goes on if the temp goes over the same setting. In other words this rig could alert you to failed air conditioning instead of failed heating.