Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
Tom
Ooma Moderator
Re: Geo-Fencing

Post by Tom » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:21 am

j2carte

Post by j2carte » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:28 am

Just installed on my Samsung Androids yesterday and have started testing. First phone set up pretty easily, second phone is a bit of a problem. It may be because it is the same model and it is difficult to distinguish one from another. For families that have multiple phones with the same model number, it would be great if we could rename each phone so we knew who was where instead of just adopting the information directly (and only) from the phone.

When I left the area, it recognized that happening and flagged me as away. However when my wife left, it never saw her leave but marked her as unknown status.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:39 am

v1.7.2 is available now

j2carte

Post by j2carte » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:12 pm

Interestingly enough, one phone had 1.7.2 and the other had 1.7.1. Both now have 1.7.2 and while the mode does seem to switch after we leave the home with both phones, it takes it almost 30 minutes and we were over 20 miles away even though I selected the small radius option.

It still isn't possible to rename the phones and I don't understand why sometimes they show up in dashboard but sometimes they don't. Trying to isolate the cause now...

jeffr

Post by jeffr » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:20 am

1.7.3 on iPhone. Geofence is broken. I’m getting a lot of unknown and Away when I’m home. Happening on two iPhones.

DaveJ

Post by DaveJ » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:43 am

jeffr the exact same thing was happening to me yesterday on both my wifes and my iPhone.
I ended up switching off geo-fencing for now.

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:00 am

How does the app determine your location? Comcast's geolocation service puts my house a half hour drive from my actual location. They apparently don't think that is a problem.

Try changing your location service in your phone so it doesn't use WiFi. In fact if you have WiFi enabled in your phone turn it off so the phone can only use GPS and cell towers to calculate your location.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

law

Post by law » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:55 pm

My wife and I also having problems. We made sure to set the Location Services on both our iPhones to "Always" share location info to the Ooma Home Security App.

My wife arrived home while I was away, and triggered the alarm. Apple's Find Friends showed her as home, but the Ooma Home Security App showed her as Away, hence set off the notifications. So the iPhone system knows she is Home, yet the Ooma App is not picking that up.

This remained for so long I gave up waiting for it to change. I had to manually switch to Home Mode. Then later in the evening, I checked her iPhone and it showed location Unknown, yet she was Home. Apple's Find Friends was showing us both accurately at Home.

The next morning my wife left, but there was no indication of that by the Ooma Home Security App. It still showed "Unknown". Nothing in the log showed she left, (except the Front Door activity.) Yet Find Friends showed my wife's away location accurately. So, her iPhone is not working with respect to the geofencing, and it is enabled.

Once I left home, the geofencing triggered the system into Away Mode. I checked later in the day and it showed both of us as "Unknown". Now it is showing me as "Away" but she is still "Unknown" when she is actually Away, and Find Friends shows exactly where she is. So my iPhone is not even perfect. Also, if I kill the app on the phone, upon relaunching it, notifications are sent out saying I "arrived" at home, even if I was already at home.

j2carte

Re: Geo-Fencing - what are the current versions?

Post by j2carte » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:18 pm

What are the current versions of the Ooma Mobile Security app for both Android and iPhone users?

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:53 am

Geofencing is working fine but I have a few suggestions.
The log and PUSH Notifications show the phones MODEL number which is an ambiguous number few users know. It would be much clearer to show the phones NAME which Android lets you change.
Also instead of hiding the geofencing options in the modes screen, create a new menu just for them.
PS: THANK YOU for getting rid of those ridiculous time zone designators ("America/Chicago") and going back to what everyone else uses ("CST"). :D