Geo-Fencing

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
j2carte
Re: Geo-Fencing

Post by j2carte » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:22 pm

2 Android Samsung Note 5 phones, both with Location enabled with high accuracy selected. Since upgrading both phones to 1.7.3, the results have been unreliable.

I left the house this morning and the system switched to Away mode without telling us, even though my wife's phone was still in the house and was plugged in and turned on. Nothing in the logs about the mode switch.

When we left both the house this afternoon together, the mode switched to Away and pushed us the notification as expected. When we returned this evening, the system never saw us for at least 5 minutes so I had to switch back to Home mode manually.

The unreliability is extremely frustrating.

critikle

Post by critikle » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:21 am

Yeah, the new update seems to be less reliable than the previous version.

With my iPhone 6, only one device setup, leaving the home seems to still work fine and sets away soon after leaving the set radius. Coming back home, however, there is a large delay in recognizing the phone is back inside the area. Previously it worked great and I'd get the notification about the time I turned in my driveway, but now it doesn't change status until I park in the garage, walk to the mailbox, and back. If I go straight in now since the update, it'll set off the alarm.

j2carte

Post by j2carte » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:51 pm

I suspect the system is not polling the GPS location of the phones often enough and I still believe there is a problem with multiple phones of the same model being set to geo-locate.

I left the house this morning and was pushed a message showing that my phone had left home. My wife's phone was still home, turned on, and plugged in to the charger (fully charged). The system switched to AWAY mode but did not push any message. 2 hours later, my wife tripped a motion sensor and the system started pushing messages and making calls. I knew she was home so I manually set the mode to HOME. Again, there were no messages pushed to any phone.

My wife left home about 2 hours later (4 hours since I left) and the system must have switched to AWAY mode but again failed to push any messages. My wife returned and entered the house but the system never saw her so it never went back to HOME mode - naturally it started making calls and pushing messages about an entry and motion while no one was home.

I manually set the mode to HOME again to shut off all the alarms. I arrived home about 5 hours later but the system may never have seen me because it has not logged my return or pushed any messages.

I set our home location sensing to MEDIUM to expand the sensing area and give Ooma more time to realize where we are, but it does not seem to have made a difference. We're both running 1.7.3 on our Android phones.

Geofencing seems like it might be a bit out of reach for the Ooma team to get working right. It is not reliable and actually seems to be getting worse.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:58 am

It DOES seem to be getting worse. Yesterday when I left the house it failed to change to "away" and when I got home it failed to change to "home". Previously it worked fine. What happened?

j2carte

Post by j2carte » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:29 am

It would be interesting to read a short paper on the theory of operation for Ooma's Home Security offering. If the GPS position triggers the phone app to push notification to the main servers which then pushes a trigger to the home Telo, then we could suspect a bug in the phone app. On the other hand, if the main servers poll the phones on an intermittent basis then the problem could easily be a timing issue on the server app and missed polls or responses. I doubt the phone app communicates directly with the home Telo.

DaveJ

Post by DaveJ » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:05 am

Ever since the new update I`ve just shut off geo-fencing for now. It had become too unreliable for my liking.
There was nothing worse than walking into my kitchen and alarms going off on my phones and tablets. It`s too bad as this showed promise.

law

Post by law » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:02 pm

We keep having the problem. My wife will be Home, but her phone will say "Unknown". I leave the house and the system switches to Away mode, since it doesn't know my wife is Home. The iPhone app is not keeping current on locations.

Find Friends works fine, so I know the location data is available. Conversely, we both left our home last night, but the App did not detect us leaving, so kept the system in Home mode, even though we were both gone.

We love geofencing when it works, but the current version definitely has a problem.

critikle

Post by critikle » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:23 am

I did try increasing the geofencing radius to give it more time to poll the GPS location of my iPhone but no improvement. Think there is more going on with this update than just slow GPS updates.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:07 am

The geofencing feature is completely unreliable. Even Ooma admits it because I got an email from them telling me so and suggesting I disable geofencing in the app with instructions how to do it! The email also advised that a new update to the app would be released "soon" with geofencing fixed. I wonder how Ooma defines "soon"... :D

j2carte

Post by j2carte » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:03 am

thomasm wrote:...a new update to the app would be released "soon" with geofencing fixed. I wonder how Ooma defines "soon"... :D
Honestly, I've been pretty pleased at their responsiveness. They don't seem to let new feature development get in the way of support very often, quite unlike some large accounting software companies.