Geo-Fencing

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
j2carte
Re: Geo-Fencing

Post by j2carte » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:15 pm

I expanded the home area to large as recommended here the other day and then enabled both phones for geosync. My wife was at home all day yesterday, but the system saw me leave the house yesterday morning and notified me properly. However it never saw me come home even though I had 82% battery power when I returned. The only way I could get the system to "see me" again was to disable and enable the phone for geosyncing. I left this evening for about 30 minutes but it never saw me leave or come back. I still waiting to order smoke detectors until they get this system a lot more reliable.

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:18 am

Download a GPS app and verify that your phone is accurately tracking your location. GPS reception is difficult when inside of a building. Also verify that your phone is not putting the app to "sleep" because it is using too much power. The Android maintenance routine will do this by default. I don't know know if the iPhone does this.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

j2carte

Post by j2carte » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:26 am

I have both phones configured for high-accuracy and regularly use mine for mapping so I know the gps is accurate. I was stopped at a traffic light about 3 blocks from my house the other day when my phone notified me that I had arrived at home (I'm using the large area as recommended). Both phones have the Home Security app in an unmonitored state so that power management does not affect them, but I have power management turned off for the time being anyway.

Neither phone is recognized now as arriving home, but both are recognized as leaving. At least the errors are becoming consistent and predictable. :shock:

AnthonyH
Ooma Moderator

Post by AnthonyH » Tue May 01, 2018 3:18 pm

Hello all, I just wanted to provide an update regarding Geofencing beta feature for you. We just released Ooma Home Security version 1.8.6 on iOS and 1.8.2 on Android. These should become available on the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store in a few hours after they've finished processing.

Version 1.8.6 on iOS has exhibited significantly better performance during testing. Please let us know if you see otherwise.

Version 1.8.2 on Android contains critical fixes required for Geofencing. However, there are additional required fixes, and we are still working on them. You can expect another Android version in the very near future.

j2carte

Post by j2carte » Tue May 01, 2018 4:15 pm

Thanks very much Tony, an honest realistic update is much better than nothing at all, even if it isn't the magic bullet.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Wed May 02, 2018 7:31 am

Tony is a different person. This is Anthony.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Sun May 06, 2018 4:04 am

Geofencing is working perfectly for me but my setup only has one phone with geofencing enabled. This is with an LGK8 Android phone and the most recent version of the app.

mike48085

Post by mike48085 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:53 am

And Geo-fencing doesn't yet work for me. I have a Samsung S7 Edge (Android 7.0) on Verizon with all updates. I have also updated the Ooma App. In all other cases, GPS works just fine - Waze, Google Maps, etc.

I can get the app to update GPS location only if I disable Geo-fencing and then re-enable it in the app and then restart the app. I have Power Saving Mode turned off in my phone. My Ooma Security app version is 1.8.2

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sun May 13, 2018 9:21 am

for Android there's still a number of fixes coming

law

Post by law » Wed May 16, 2018 1:32 pm

Geofencing on our two iPhones has been working perfectly since the last major fix. One day there was a glitch but I think Ooma was working on their servers or something. But, in general, has been working perfectly as we both come and go from the house.

The garage door sensor did become "disconnected" after rebooting the Telo one time, but I took the batteries out and put them back in and it reconnected.