What do you mean "I have to completely reinstall the app"?

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
j2carte
What do you mean "I have to completely reinstall the app"?

Post by j2carte » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:02 am

I think I've probably been one of the most optimistic clients for the Ooma home security system on the forum so far, but I'm afraid my optimism bucket just ran dry.

I had to completely rebuild one of my Samsung Android phones yesterday following a factory restore, so I wasn't really surprised when the "new" phone showed up on my Dashboard. However, when I tried to find a way to delete that ghost phone from the system and couldn't, I ended up calling technical support.

The first issue is that the icon for a cellphone sensor doesn't have the "delete" option like any other normal sensor icon. The TS guy just couldn't understand that even after I followed his instructions step-by-step and then read the screen to him word-for-word three separate times. Apparently TS has no working knowledge of Geofencing even though it has been released (in beta) for well over 90 days.

Worse yet, when the TS guy did try to look at the sensors I have paired he couldn't find any of the Samsung cellphones - 2 real and 1 ghost. So, his solution since there is no way to delete a cellphone based sensor is to completely remove and reinstall the application on each phone; oh, and reconfigure the app and re-pair the Bluetooth connection to all of my other sensors once the app is reinstalled.

How in the world do you let something out of the labs that is supposed to add features to your product, and then not be able to remove those added features if something goes wrong, without completely uninstalling and reinstalling the entire application? Please tell me this isn't so...

j2carte

Re: What do you mean "I have to completely reinstall the app"?

Post by j2carte » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:37 am

I just found Owen E's post from April along this same topic; the reply was "It hasn't been implemented on Android yet".

So, today is July 5th and I can confirm - it still hasn't been implemented on Android yet.

A huge improvement for the forum would be a thread where only the Ooma customer service manager had posting rights AND they kept a list of reported problems that had been verified, the solutions, and the current state of repair. Silence is not an endearing response to our pleas for help.