Blown Speaker

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
RocNrolla
Blown Speaker

Post by RocNrolla » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:09 am

On my second telo2 unit with another blown speaker. Need a working speaker with all my garage sensors and door sensors so I can hear Ooma announce when a door is opened or closed....what I bought them for!

I'm still under warranty so I will be getting a 3rd unit with probably a ineffective poor quality speaker which will eventually fail.

Suggestions?

Google home integration (Alexia or whatever) so google home can announce the messages from opening a door.
Bluetooth speaker integration
A BETTER QUALITY SPEAKER IN THE OOMA TELO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

j2carte

Re: Blown Speaker

Post by j2carte » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:08 pm

I've had my Ooma Telo now for about 4 years and have yet to have a problem with it. I will admit that I have it connected through a BackUPS and have replaced the ups twice in 4 years - but no problems with the Telo. I wonder if you have some sort of power irregularity such as jitter, spikes, or drop-outs.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:25 am

My speaker also failed and the Telo has always been connected to a UPS. There is another thread on this topic elsewhere with lots more customers complaining about failed speakers. It's not an isolated issue.

Av8tr10178

Post by Av8tr10178 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:12 am

I have same issue. Old telo from 2010. Volume button does not adjust. Every button I touch causes ooma symbol to blink red once. Pressing play only allows voicemail from handset. No sounds from speaker at all. Ooma moderator, Can you roll my software back like you did others? Thanks!

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:53 pm

My Telo2 speaker doesn't work either. However I don't need it because I have three HD3 handsets. Under the home security menu on the handset there is an option called handset announce. When it is turned on it serves the same function as the Telo2 speaker. Any announcements previously heard on the Telo2 speaker are now heard on all my HD3 handsets.

Instead of wasting your money on more Telo2's just buy an HD3 handset.

21ben

Post by 21ben » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:05 am

Hi, I'm having the same problem. No sound from the Telo speaker with incoming calls/voicemail. I can only hear messages with my handset when I press the play button. No sound when I press volume up. Please help!

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:21 am

The speaker has failed. If you know how to solder it is simple enough to open the unit up, cut the wires to the speaker. remove the speaker, install a new speaker, and solder the new speakers wires to the cut ends. I understand that what is easy for me may be impossible for you. Do you know anyone that is comfortable with modifying electronic devices?

If it is still under warranty request a new one from Ooma. Maybe they will get tired of all of the replacements and start installing a reliable speaker.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

21ben

Post by 21ben » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:26 am

Thanks, Murphy. Guess I'll get a new speaker and solder it on....sigh lol

Desperado

Post by Desperado » Mon May 11, 2020 5:40 pm

I found a small oval speaker that I glued to the PC board near the ethernet connectors using Goop. I first heat formed and glued a small sheet of Duroid insulating material. Then I glued the back of the speaker to the Duriod. The speaker need not be mounted to the plastic housing. The sound will escape the enclosure.
Speaker.jpg
Speaker.jpg (90.54KiB)Viewed 32117 times

Post by 9104885475 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:47 am

I just replaced the speaker in my Telo Air 2 with one purchased on Amazon with good success. The Amazon description is "uxcell 5pcs 1W 8 Ohm Magnet Loud Speaker Horn Amplifier 20mm". It only came in a package of 5 each for $11.49. I just cut the wires to the old speaker and soldered the wires on the new speaker to the old wire (wires are extremely small). The new speaker is only about 1mm larger diameter than the old speaker so just a little plastic trimming will allow it to fit nicely.