How to secure a double-slider window with a single sensor

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
DatCanadianGuy
How to secure a double-slider window with a single sensor

Post by DatCanadianGuy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:13 am

As a new user to Ooma Home Security, I tried a couple of window/door sensors along with a free trial of Home Security, and tried it out on 2 doors. After deciding to take the plunge and ordering more sensors, I soon discovered that with double-slider windows, following the instructions will only let you secure either the left or right side, leaving the other side to open freely without disturbing the other sensor at all.

When I called in to Home Security support, I was told the only solution was to buy 2 sensors for each window. Since the tech and principles are the same for most window sensors, I found a couple ways around the problem. The easiest: Mount the the smaller magnet piece onto the actual glass; next: mount the bigger sensor in the middle; on the end-cap of the interior window. such that the 2 sensors meet (almost an L pattern). I have Anderson windows,and there is just enough clearance for the interior window to slide over the magnet part attached to the glass. Do make sure to mount the glass part first. Works like a charm for all my windows (even those not Anderson)!