All my sensors were suddenly disconnected on 6/10/2020. Here are my observations:
- Update 10267147 was applied on the same day, thereby breaking everything security-related
- My Ooma Telo unit is getting old at around 4 years old
- I installed the security sensors around January 2018
- Reseting the my unit allows the security sensors to work up to 7 hours
- Tech support claims that my sensors need to be "updated"; not sure why that is the case
- I moved my Telo unit from upstairs to downstairs; of course, I have a small house so my devices should not have been more than 200 feet away
- When all the devices are disconnected, you cannot manually reconnect, unpair, or add new ones; it's almost like the DECT antenna fails after a manner of hours
- Almost all of my devices are not near anything metal
- Manually disabling and re-enabling the DECT module does not resolve the issue
Hardlight has done a great job describing the problem and mine is basically identical.
- My problem also started on 10 Jun when all of my sensors disconnected simultaneously.
- My Ooma base is about three and a half years old.
- Not sure what the firmware version it is running (how do you know?)
- Upon rebooting the base, all of my sensors will reconnect within a few minutes without any action on my part.
- When the sensors are disconnected, I was able once to unpair a sensor but could not add it back until a reboot.
- Sensors will stay connected anywhere from 4 to 13 hours before disconnecting simultaneously.
Some good news developed since I posted my problem. After several reboots (mainly unplugging and replugging my Telo) and moving my Telo downstairs briefly, all my sensors now remain connected and started working properly as of 6/14/2020 1:00 AM GMT-8.
In addition, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Ooma Security app on my smartphone.
I had briefly considered getting a automatic reset power plug (e.g. NetReset) for my Telo unit. So far, it is plugged to a manual switch plug.
The Siren unit was the first item that keeps disconnecting, and perhaps bringing down the entire security system. I had to unregister and re-register it after I restarted the Telo unit.
This is the case where the sensors are too smart for their own good, as attempting to update them would cause problems to other sensors and the entire system. If that's the case, there should be a way to check the update status or the current firmware on them.
Other wish items include:
- Ability to downgrade or hold off on firmware upgrades
- Ability to reset the Telo unit through the app or the web page without physically connecting a computer to it or unplugging/replugging
UPDATE: I removed the Siren (Gen1) version, and the rest of the sensors is working again. The thing refuses to stay connected or update no matter what I do. I wish I can get my money back due to it being utterly defective.
I stopped dealing with my Ooma sensor issues for months because calls to customer support were tedious/insulting/unproductive and they always claimed that everything was great after a reboot "solved" the problem. I finally gave up after talking to a service rep (level 2) who promised to check my account the next day and call me back when he saw that the sensors sure enough would be disconnected again. Sensors dropped overnight, service rep never called. I do feel like Ooma customer service has declined...
Out of the blue, we had a power outage (not the first time that has happened) but the Ooma base of course rebooted, and magically all sensors started working again and have worked properly for months. No changes to my phone app. No changes to the sensors. No changes to my network. Perhaps there was a firmware/system update hidden from my eyes that led to the resolution, but I unfortunately have no insight as to why, after so many months of frustration, everything is working again.