Motion Detector Battery runs out in 3 months

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
wjw3723
Motion Detector Battery runs out in 3 months

Post by wjw3723 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:20 pm

These CR123As came with the purchased units, but they do not last too long. I wonder if these are cheap batteries - Pairdeer CR123a. At this rate, I would need to use 5 batteries each year and they would cost me $20 just for batteries.

Anyone else having the same problem?

James

redchev1

Re: Motion Detector Battery runs out in 3 months

Post by redchev1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:57 pm

I have battery problems with a motion sensor also. I have had two motion sensors in my system since June 2017. One in a high traffic area and one in a low traffic area. The motion sensor in the high traffic area is still working with the original battery supplied by OOMA, now over 18 months old. The original battery in the low traffic area lasted about 13 months. When that battery failed, I replaced it with a Duracell CR123 that lasted about three weeks. I replaced again with Energizer CR123 and other high rated CR123a batteries that also lasted about three weeks or less each. At this point I'd be happy to get three months life out of these expensive batteries.
I made a post to this forum a few months ago looking for battery recommendations but still have not gotten a reply. Maybe defective sensor?
Maybe I'll just try to buy some of the original Pairdeer brand batteries if I can find them..

safebustr

Post by safebustr » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:52 pm

I am using the (Tenergy brand) batteries purchased from Amazon, little over $1 each and I get about 3-4 months in the high traffic areas and about 5-7 months in the lower traffic area. Occasionally a battery will only last 2 months in the high traffic area but I blame it on the quality of battery.
I have tried the higher priced brand name battery and they don't seem to last any better.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:41 am

The "pairdeer" batteries are junk. One leaked and I had to clean the contacts on the motion sensor. I bought new Duracell batteries for my FOUR motion sensors and 8 months later they are still above 3 volts each. Duracell batteries are pricey but they are worth it.

LarryS11

Post by LarryS11 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:22 am

Fortunately, all [4] of my MS are located near 115v power outlets. I replaced the 3V battery in them w/3V power supplies/"battery adapters". [just connect the PS leads to the battery connection tabs] Ooma out to install a jack & sell optional 3V PS's to users who can locate their MS's near 115V outlets.