Glass break detection is important for Home Security..

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
pamelaantonacci
Glass break detection is important for Home Security..

Post by pamelaantonacci » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:35 pm

So I love that Ooma has windows, & door open / close sensors.. That doesn't help if a perpetrator decides to just smash a window in. I hope that Ooma is working with Alexa to integrate with Alexa Guard (for those who don't know what that is.. that will allow Alexa to listen for a smoke alarm ringing or the sound of shattering glass, then - she'll send a notification). Currently, ADT or Ring subscriber's will also get the benefit of Alexa notifying your home security monitoring service, too. If that isn't being done then a broken glass sensor is also something that Ooma Home Security also really needs.

thomasm

Re: Glass break detection is important for Home Security..

Post by thomasm » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:13 am

I had an extensive wired ADT system prior to getting Ooma. It doesn't have a glass break detector. Instead it has carefully positioned motion detectors that activate when a burglar steps through the broken glass. The bedrooms are protected by a motion detector that covers the hallway. As soon as a burglar exits a bedroom it activates. My bedroom windows are very high and small so it's unlikely they would be used for entry. I replaced all the basement windows with glass block windows making them essentially break in proof. More likely would be the sliding patio door. It has a door sensor and a motion detector aimed right at it.
I also have door sensors on the unlocked SCREEN DOORS which provide advanced notification that an unknown person is on the premises.
The final step I took when the ADT system was installed was to enclose the phone line in electrical conduit.