Geo-Fencing - Part Deux

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
j2carte
Geo-Fencing - Part Deux

Post by j2carte » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:26 am

The original thread started on Geo-Fencing has over 10,000 posts, the most recent from Fall of 2018. Is anyone with an Android phone using Geo-Fencing, is it now reliable, how do you / did you get it set up to work?

I'd love to re-enable it, but have been burned too many times over the past.

tjhornbeck

Re: Geo-Fencing - Part Deux

Post by tjhornbeck » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:52 am

I have a Pixel 3 XL and initially geo-fencing was working for a couple of weeks. It stopped working yesterday and I can't get it to work again. I have rebooted my phone, disabled/enabled my Location Services, disabled/enabled Geo-fencing and rebooted my Telo.

My son's Samsung S9 has never worked.

I'm very disappointed in the Ooma Home Security application and this feature.

Gilleslibre

Post by Gilleslibre » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:38 am

Hi! How do you arm and disarm Home Security as Geofencing doesn't work properly? :?

j2carte

Post by j2carte » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:16 am

Manually, from the app on your phone. Switch to away mode after everyone has left, switch back to home mode before opening any door when the first person gets back. Vacation mode will ignore all other programmed mode switches and must be enabled or disabled manually (I believe).

Gilleslibre

Post by Gilleslibre » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:18 am

Thank you J2Carte.
I will try out the product once I have received it and probably return it as the Geofencing fonctionnality was the requirement that made me buy the product in the first place and it doesn't work properly.

tjhornbeck

Post by tjhornbeck » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:28 pm

Just checked my Ooma Security app and the geo-fencing worked. I am guessing the issues might be related to the infrastructure Ooma's has implemented to support the geo-fencing feature. My Wemo smart switches did something similar during the holidays.

j2carte

Post by j2carte » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:04 pm

TJ, the issue is reliability and repeatability. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You never know when it will or won't work.

Unless something has been done to change things, but I've not seen any news releases or announcements.

tjhornbeck

Post by tjhornbeck » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:14 am

I opened a support incident with the Home Security team. We'll see what they can do

I also noticed when you setup an Away - Schedule, it takes priority over geo-fencing. I am working from home and the 8:30am Away - Schedule event triggered, even though my geo-fencing still listed me as Home. Sounds like they just need to make geo-fencing a higher condition than the Away - Schedule.

For example:

IF schedule = Away and geo-fencing = Home THEN
Mode = Home
ELSE
Mode = Away

But maybe there is a reason it's programmed to have Schedules be priority over Geo-fencing.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:04 pm

As an Ooma customer for years I've seen many updates to the firmware on the device. The frequency of updates has decreased and there are few bugs left that need addressing. The home security service works pretty good EXCEPT for geofencing. I don't believe it will ever get fixed so I would be happy if there was an easier way to toggle home and away modes manually.

tjhornbeck

Post by tjhornbeck » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:52 am

Update: Both mine and my son's geo-fencing feature has been reliably working for over 3 weeks. Anyone else experiencing the same?