What is your appreciation of Home Security (and geofencing)?

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
thomasm
Re: What is your appreciation of Home Security (and geofencing)?

Post by thomasm » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:13 am

(part 2)
My Telo and internet gateway/router are plugged into a 650 watt UPS which powers them for several hours in the event of a power failure. In addition, I rigged a door sensor and electromagnet from an old buzzer together. This serves as a power failure alarm. The instant power is lost Ooma notifies me.

In any event, most alarms today use cellular so burglars don't bother with phone lines anymore.

ralbanes

Post by ralbanes » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:23 pm

Good suggestions. While I think it's unfortunate that Ooma could not come up with a simple solution to notify of a power outage or loss of connection, I do like your power failure workaround. Let me get this straight...you rigged an Ooma door/window sensor with your own electromagnet (instead of the ooma supplied magnet) and when power drops to the magnet it "thinks" the door/window opened and triggers an immediate "door open". Is that right?

Gilleslibre

Post by Gilleslibre » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:52 am

Myself, I put up cameras (Nest cameras) that upload in the cloud as a deterrent to anybody who would tamper with the alarm system, or to the cables leading to my house. I have signs that advise as to this facility to my house. I hope that the cameras, the signs, and the alarm system will be enough deterrents to shoo away any intruder.