What is your appreciation of Home Security (and geofencing)?

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
Gilleslibre
What is your appreciation of Home Security (and geofencing)?

Post by Gilleslibre » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:58 am

I just bought Home Security before realizing that there might be a problem with Geofencing, which I specifically chose because of the convenience.

What is your appreciation of the product and of Geofencing?

Thank you.

j2carte

Re: What is your appreciation of Home Security (and geofencing)?

Post by j2carte » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:40 am

I enabled Geo-Fencing when it first became available, but as more and more problems with reliability and accuracy showed up I had to disable it on my phones. Each time an update or fix came out I would enable the feature, but could not make it work reliably. All of my phones and tablets are Android so I'm only seeing a part of the environment.

I asked this morning for an update on status specifically about Geo-Fencing because it is a great concept and can be extremely useful to some of us. I haven't tried to enable it or use it for over 6 months now.

As a fallback, I wish we had keypads available, and I also wish we actually had smoke/CO detectors we could really buy and install.

Gilleslibre

Post by Gilleslibre » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:06 am

Thank you for your prompt answer to my questions. :)

Gilleslibre

Post by Gilleslibre » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:26 am

According to the negative information on geofencing which I read about on this Forum, I tried to cancel my order of Home Security but Ooma forwarded the order anyway and I have yet to receive it. I will try it when I receive it and update this post with the results in a few weeks.

Gilleslibre

Post by Gilleslibre » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:42 am

I'm experimenting with the system and so far, so good. It was a challenge to get geofencing working properly and I went thru the advices of Ooma on their site to get it working properly. I had an additional difficulty as the transfer of data was blocked on my android telephone as I used to use the telephone only for calls up to now. I unblocked the data transfer and registered with my cell phone provider for a data plan on my telephone. I will keep you posted in a few days when I have experienced with the door sensors as up to now I have only tried it out with the movement sensor (works great) in the house.

Gilleslibre

Post by Gilleslibre » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:57 am

Up to now, everything works perfectly, Geofencing and the doors and movement detectors. I will add an additional user (my daughter who comes to the house once in a while) for Geofencing to manage in a few days from now and hope for the best. Geofencing works perfectly with my only cellular phone et arms and disarms the system as it is supposed to. As of now, I'm very happy with my purchase. :P

ralbanes

Post by ralbanes » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:18 am

Found out the hard way, that there is a hard-coded 10-minute delay on push notification if a burglar cuts power to the telo home security unit (or in my case, if they disconnect your cable from outside the home). After-the-fact testing it's more like a 12 minute delay.

During that 10-12 minutes, all sensors are disabled and you are not notified of ANY breaches nor notified that the entire system is down.

Meanwhile, most burglaries occur in under 10 minutes. Very disappointed. Otherwise it's a nice toy.

Gilleslibre

Post by Gilleslibre » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:54 am

It would take a very dedicated burglar to go through the trouble of cutting your cable to your house before steeling in the house. You have to give him credit for the trouble that he went through. ;)

ralbanes

Post by ralbanes » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:55 am

Yes. Loosening a thumbscrew on the coaxial cable took great courage and dedication...breaking into someone else's home was the easy part.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:07 am

Good points. In my case I don't worry about this. Years ago when I had an ADT security system installed I determined that it was a simple matter to disable it by simply cutting the phone line. So I went to the hardware store and bought some electrical conduit and enclosed the phone line in it.

The line is tied to the house about 15' in the air so the burglar would need a step ladder or hacksaw!