Major Design Flaw: 10-minute delay on disabled system notify

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
ralbanes
Major Design Flaw: 10-minute delay on disabled system notify

Post by ralbanes » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:13 am

I found out the hard way that when power or internet access is cut to the Telo unit (ex. unplugged, power cut, cable disconnected/wires cut, etc), there was NO push notification informing me that the Home Security system had been Disabled.

When I called Ooma to report that I received no notification that my home security system was disabled...they confirmed that this is correct behavior. According to Ooma, notification that Ooma Security System has been disabled occurs only after a "10-minute delay". A 10 minute delay on a home security system, are you kidding?!

In the meantime, during that 10+ minutes...NO SMS, no push notifications, no phone calls, NOTHING for 10+ minutes. That seemed like a pretty good head start for the burglar, no?

Meanwhile, the typical duration of a burglary is between 90 seconds and 12 minutes (most in the range of 8 - 12 minutes). Therefore, a burglar is able to get in and out in around 10 minutes or less undetected, simply by disconnecting your cable from outside your home. And if the burglar is kind enough to reconnect your cable, you won't receive any push notifications at all.

Why on earth would you think home owners want to wait 10+ minutes to be notified that their home security system has been completely disabled?

According to Ooma, they have no plans to shorten the 10-minute delay nor allow user-variable settings.
Ooma's reason for the 10-minute delay: "to minimize false alarms".

False alarms? there is no such hard-coded 10 minute delay on window or motion sensors to avoid false alarms! But by putting a 10-minute delay on the entire system, you have effectively put a 10-minute delay on all entry points and motion detectors when a burglar disconnects your power or cable.

Ooma should have let the home owner decide what is a "false" alarm or how long to delay a notification that the ENTIRE SYSTEM has been disabled. 10 minutes delayed notification on a home security system is the deal breaker for me.

I will be sure to spread the word as this is a major design flaw.

jtlawlor

Re: Major Design Flaw: 10-minute delay on disabled system notify

Post by jtlawlor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:40 am

Thank you for your Important Info with this post !!
You are Correct - if a security system can be (somewhat) Easily be rendered Totally DISFUNCTIONAL- for 10 Minutes -
it is Basically useless. !!

Ive been a pleased home Telo customer appx 10 years, looking to replace my home 'monitoring' service (on PrimeDay this week!) - Been researching Many options over past 4-5 months! Came to the OOMA forum/s for valid User Inputs !! WOW!
Would have spent ($ 800-1,000 $) on OOMA Products-system !!
that
Would be USELESS if a burglar Planned a break-in at my home - Yes, DEAL BREAKER !!! for me