who else can see video, can third party see video, hear sound?

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
vernonls
who else can see video, can third party see video, hear sound?

Post by vernonls » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:07 pm

Who else has access to the video that goes out over the Internet? Does it go to a third party who can see the video? Can I turn it off when I am home? Does this work like Ring where somebody, someplace, in a third world country can browse what your video camera is recording?

I can't find answers to these questions on the ooma web site and their chat feature is broken.

thanks,

vern

vernonls

Re: who else can see video, can third party see video, hear sound?

Post by vernonls » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:26 am

OK, well I had an interesting chat with an ooma agent. It was looking really favorable until he mentioned that the cameras do "facial recognition" When I asked whether the facial recognition processing took place in the cloud or locally, the agent said it took place in the cloud. Now if you think about it, in order to do the processing in the cloud, the pictures have to be sent to a server somewhere in the cloud which means that the picture is stored in a computer's memory and hard drive for the processing to take place. So, I have the same fears about the camera as I do about Alexa - some device is always watching you and recording what you do/say.

If the processing was local, I would be thrilled to buy this product, but not as it stands. And, others who value their privacy should be aware also. Hope this is helpful.

vern

JPK79

Re: who else can see video, can third party see video, hear sound?

Post by JPK79 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:46 am

I would never purchase a camera through a security provider with the exception of external ones. I wouldn’t let a third party have access to view inside my house. Unfortunately this is becoming harder and harder as all new cameras require you to use their app and cloud storage whereas cameras from years back all had an integrated web server which you could easily control access in and out of with a firewall and setup secure access via VPN or reverse proxy. Does anyone know of any modern day cameras that have the web server integration?