Water sensor detects "Wet", but sensor is bone dry

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
Edo
Water sensor detects "Wet", but sensor is bone dry

Post by Edo » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:18 am

My water sensor phoned me (on home phone, cell phone...) alerting that one of my water sensors was wet. I was home and could check it out - bone dry. After 30 minutes, still says wet. I power cycled (removed batteries which triggered a flurry of notifications) and 10 minutes later its still says wet. I used ooma chat and was told to restart my app and re-pair the sensor - this does not really address my problem of false positive. What can I do? Is there a secret number to call to reach somebody who has a clue?

thomasm

Re: Water sensor detects "Wet", but sensor is bone dry

Post by thomasm » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:23 am

The water sensor probe is extremely sensitive. High levels of humidity or any foreign substance on it can activate it.

Take the moisture sensor and rince it under a faucet. Next, carefully wipe the entire sensor including the gold pins using a paper towel or two. Put the batteries back in and see if it reports a wet condition. If it does it's probably defective and needs to be replaced. It may still be under warranty.

bobkeown

Re: Water sensor detects "Wet", but sensor is bone dry

Post by bobkeown » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:58 am

I don't have the Ooma leak detector sensor with my ooma system, but I do have ADT leak sensors and had a similar issue. My sensor was sitting in the bottom of the metal leak containment pan of my HVAC unit and was always signaling that it was wetwet. On a hunch, I put a small piece of cardboard under the sensor and then put the leak sensor into the containment pan, thinking the metal pan may be setting the alarm off (even though it was always dry).

Sure enough, that was the issue.