Water sensor - false detection for wet

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
AndersonBA
Water sensor - false detection for wet

Post by AndersonBA » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:05 pm

Hi,
Like another user who reported this, I have my water sensor taped to a secondary pipe in my sump pump. I'm receiving many false positives for being wet.
When I check the sensor, it's seems it's either humidity or potentially being splashed by the water coming into the sump pump well, even though I have the sensor kind of blocked by the pipe.
Touching the sensor often also shows it's dry to the touch.
I've replaced the batteries on the sensor and it continues to alert me with false positives.
What can I do to fix this? Does anyone have a suggestion for blocking the potential splashes without increasing the humidity?
Help! This thing is driving me nuts and we NEED a sensor in the well as my pump died recently and we had several thousand dollars of damage due to flooding.

thomasm

Re: Water sensor - false detection for wet

Post by thomasm » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:32 pm

Why don't you install a backup pump? I have a main upright sump pump, a backup submersible sump pump, and a BATTERY OPERATED back up pump! I learned my lesson in 2000 when a storm took out the power and I had water in the basement. Also, the two AC pumps are on different circuits. I also have a generator so the battery operated pump only is needed until I get the generator hooked up.

Oh, I also know exactly what is going on via Ooma as I have a power failure sensor, a water sensor, and a sensor that activates if the backup AC pump is running. I created the power failure and backup pump sensors from door/window sensors using coils from doorbell buzzers. They take the place of the supplied magnet.

TWG

Re: Water sensor - false detection for wet

Post by TWG » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:12 am

I had this issue, it was a defective sensor. The replacement fixed it