Replace MS battery w/3V power supply

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
LarryS11
Replace MS battery w/3V power supply

Post by LarryS11 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:30 am

Fortunately, all [4] of my MS are located near 115v power outlets. I replaced the 3V battery in them w/3V power supplies/"battery adapters". [just connect the PS leads to the battery connection tabs] Ooma out to install a jack & sell optional 3V PS's to users who can locate their MS's near 115V outlets.

oomamaniacal

Re: Replace MS battery w/3V power supply

Post by oomamaniacal » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:20 am

That is a great idea, especially for batteries that do not last that long in the motion sensors.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:07 pm

Why would you EVER consider depending on AC power to power alarm sensors? Even commercial alarm systems have a backup battery!

And as for the comment about poor battery life with the motion sensors, the batteries in my Ooma motion sensors are two years old and still above 3 volts. You have to buy QUALITY batteries like Duracell- not those Chinese junk batteries that Ooma ships with the sensors. One of them even leaked and I had to clean the battery contacts on a motion sensor.

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:14 pm

The best case scenario...the motion sensor would have a jack input for a transformer AND a backup battery in case of power failure.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:09 pm

I have a commercial alarm system and the batteries in my wireless motion sensors last about 8 years. The batteries in most of my door and window sensors are 11 years old and still working. The panel will warn me about 1 month in advance when a battery needs to be replaced.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:09 am

A friend of mine has an Ademco alarm system and he also claims to get years of service from his wireless sensor batteries. HOWEVER he also admits the batteries are CR123's. The triple A batteries in the Ooma sensors cost 50 cents or less. How much do CR123's cost? If you do the math the cost per day is about the same. The only downside is the annoyance of having to change the Ooma batteries more often.

Hopefully now that Ooma has changed the refresh interval to 16 minutes from 5 minutes battery life will be longer. I'm carefully following how long my batteries last after this change.

LarryS11

Post by LarryS11 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:24 pm

The [rather expensive] 3V batteries in Ooma motion sensors do not last >4 months, regardless of the brand used. An AC option [jack for power supply] would be useful for at leadt some users. [If AC power is lost the Ooma telo - and your router - are also unavailable]