Has anyone found a way to integrate smoke detectors?

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
j2carte
Has anyone found a way to integrate smoke detectors?

Post by j2carte » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:18 am

Now that Ooma has the geo-sensing figured out and has the new keypad available, they are offering Professional Monitoring which I'm seriously considering. I would really like to integrate some smoke and CO detectors into the system, which would make the decision much easier.

Has anyone figured out a way to reliably integrate these detectors into the Ooma home security system? What about a doorbell camera too? If so, what did you use and how did you do it?

thomasm

Re: Has anyone found a way to integrate smoke detectors?

Post by thomasm » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:56 pm

I've become pretty clever at creating my own sensors. For example, a door sensor and the coils from an old buzzer allowed me to create a power failure sensor. Ooma even lets me name it "electric power"!

Similarly, a smoke alarm that closes a set of contacts to activate an external alarm could be used in a similar manner. You have to be handy with making your own devices but it most certainly can be done.

NewEngland45

Post by NewEngland45 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:22 am

Thomasm, you mentioned that you've made some sensors. Have you created any digital outputs? I could use relays or solid state. I'm open to ideas or suggestions, even if I have to get my soldering iron and scope out.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:41 pm

The sensors I've created use unconventional means to cause a door/window sensor to send an open or close signal to the Telo. For example, an AC power failure sensor uses the coils from an old doorbell buzzer to activate the sensor instead of the included magnet that comes with the sensor. An old cell phone charger provides the low voltage to the coils. If the AC power fails the coils no longer provide the magnetism to keep the door/window sensor in the "closed" mode and it sends a "door open" signal to the Telo. Of course I've renamed the sensor in the app to "electric power". Fortunately Ooma has provided a large library of voice files so my handsets announce the sensor name and what it actually is monitoring.

Raisitup

Post by Raisitup » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:32 pm

Thomasm, really great idea, would you be willing to post a quick schematic? I bought an upright freezer that’s in my garage and have been concerned that if anything trips the GFCI it’ll lose power without me knowing. This would do the trick.