Base unit not announcing

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
6rtury
Base unit not announcing

Post by 6rtury » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:23 pm

I've set up my Door/Window sensors to have a Base Announcement when a sensor is opened or closed at night, in addition to Push Notifications. The Base remains silent. All other types of notifications work well, so I'm thinking that maybe something on the Base unit is not set up properly. Any ideas? I've named the sensors with words that are in its vocabulary, and also tried using the sensors with their default names. Nothing works.
Appreciate your help.
6rtury

thomasm

Re: Base unit not announcing

Post by thomasm » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:30 pm

My base unit stopped announcing years ago. It's a common problem reported by many users of this forum. If your Telo is in warranty simply request a replacement unit. However, the problem always seems to occur when the unit is just out of warranty.

The workaround is to enable the announcements on your HD3 handsets. Hit MENU/HOME SECURITY/HANDSET ANNOUNCE: YES

6rtury

Post by 6rtury » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:13 am

Thanks for the tip. Actually, my Telo base unit is just a year old -- a wired base unit. How long is the Warranty? (My one complaint is that Ooma has scant manual info. Most are just quick start guides. I'm one of the few people who love detailed manuals -- and actually read them.) I just installed the first security devices this weekend, so don't know if it ever could announce. Meantime, since I do have one HD3 handset will try your workaround. Thanks.

6rtury

P.S. Re: Base unit not announcing

Post by 6rtury » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:50 am

I'm sort of redfaced: after a search of all my Ooma-related docs on my HD, I see that I've renewed the warranty on the base unit for 2-yrs. I remember now that they had a 2-for-1-yr sale, and I grabbed it. So am in warranty. Also found other older posts about the problem, and a few more things to try.
Thanks for your help.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:45 pm

Well, ask them to send you a replacement unit and it wll make announcements for another year until it gives up.

Here's another tip. UNPAIR your alarm sensor and your handset BEFORE you swap out the Telo. The handset has an "unpair" choice in the menus. You unpair the sensor using the Ooma Home Security app.

JPK79

Post by JPK79 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:27 am

This seems like a decent size bug, I mean, who would want a security system that does not announce activity? I rely on my current system (non Ooma) to chime and announce what’s going on vs being tuned out to push notifications because of the dozens of other potential apps the notifications could be about. I couldn’t imagine not having reliable base system announcements. Does the chime for door opens work consistently and it’s just the name announcement of the specific sense that does not work? How systematic is this bug? I’m considering buying Ooma security but this is enough to hold me back.

6rtury

Base unit IS announcing

Post by 6rtury » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:26 am

Doubly red-faced. Going through everything from scratch, I discovered that the volume on my base unit was turned all the way down. Have no memory of doing this but obviously I did. Now, the announcements are coming through on both the base unit and Handset in another room.
I do have a request, though, for future development. Would like an option to add a chime or bell when a door is opened and closed, preceding the announcement or in place of it.
Thanks.
6rtury

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:11 am

If you'd like a chime or bell just enable PUSH notifications for each sensor and choose whatever sound you like on your cellphone. Then your cellphone will chime whenever a sensor is tripped.