Ooma Smart Cam is being discontinued

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
pamelaantonacci
Ooma Smart Cam is being discontinued

Post by pamelaantonacci » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:07 pm

So I have some bad news for people who invested in the Ooma smart cam :| Ooma is getting out of the camera market :cry: https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-tra ... ipt.aspx look at the residential section.. Also if you go to the website it’s been removed. Support confirmed they are still going to be supporting existing customers... For how long though ??? That’s my question :(

JPK79

Re: Ooma Smart Cam is being discontinued

Post by JPK79 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:42 am

Guessing they’ll partner with a third party to provide camera vs distributing their own?

j2carte

Re: Ooma Smart Cam is being discontinued

Post by j2carte » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:37 am

I find it interesting that the announcement seems to be coming from the sales department with no official message to the security forum. Is the recent unauthorized access of some other cameras the straw that broke the "potential liability" back?

I've posted requests for assistance trying to find a camera/doorbell that is doorbell circuit powered (with battery backup) and that interfaces to the Ooma wireless home security system. I've also been trying to find a smoke/CO detector with similar capabilities. I'm disappointed that both of these topics are still open and have no response from anyone at Ooma.

Both of these appliances have been touted by Ooma for several years - the smoke/CO detector is now abandoned without any production and the camera came out with very limited capabilities.

I think many of us have been very patient for years, but this recent halt to further camera development seems to portend a dismal future. It would really, really be helpful if Ooma would make official announcements through the forums or through email messages rather than us end-users stumbling across significantly important information by accident.