Tried it, returned it

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
JPK79
Tried it, returned it

Post by JPK79 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:50 pm

So I spent several weeks researching. I got a Ooma phone genie so I could have 4g backup connectivity out of the gates. Bought 4 door sensors and several motion along with a few other things like a siren and HD3 (purely for the ability to announce security events through as the Telo is in my office). Paired first sensor, took a bit but it was added to the app. But, showed up as status unknown. Spent an hour on the phone with Ooma support. All sorts of firmware updates. Unpaired and repaired, still, showing as unknown. So, I added a second one. Paired much quicker. But, same result. Showed unknown. In both cases, the Telo would announce the events. But the app wouldn’t log it nor would it do any notifications such as push or SMS. So, I returned everything. As it’s likely indicative of a larger problem and in my opinion, home security must be rock solid and just work out of the gates. Every system I’ve had in the past has and it’s served me well. When I’m 0-2 with my first two sensors, it shows I can’t trust this system. Too bad as I liked the app and features a lot and the cost was pretty good too. I’ll probably keep the phone genie vs regular Telo as I actually get much better call quality through a fair 4g signal then I do my cable 200mb internet connection which is odd.

I’d use SimpliSafe but the fact they can’t send a push or SMS notification of a sensor opening unless it’s away mode (or secret mode) is a deal breaker for me. Maybe I’ll look at Rings new service. Any other new, cost effective and modern services out there to try?

thomasm

Re: Tried it, returned it

Post by thomasm » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:39 am

Home security hasn't worked for 2 days. Like the poster says, the Telo announces sensor activations but nothing is logged and no notifications are made to the cellphone.

Rebooting the Telo does NOT fix the problem. If the Telo is shut down the Home Security app says it has lost connection to the Home Security service after a time. When the Telo is restarted the Home Security app says it has reconnected with the security service. If you unpair and repair a sensor it is logged by the Telo so it is in communication with the Home Security server. The Telo is also aware of sensor activations because it announces them locally. You can change modes using an HD3 handset but the keypad doesn't work.

The problem seems to be the Telo notifying the Home Security server of a sensor activation. Since the keypad is paired like a sensor that explains why it also doesn't work.

Communications from the Home Security server to the cellphone work as the contact tests work perfectly.

FIX IT!

JPK79

Post by JPK79 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:44 am

Wow that’s pretty incredible that it hasn’t worked in two days. How can they offer a home security product and allow this? Something is obviously severely messed up internally if their security service that people rely on to secure their homes is down at all, mudh less two days. They’ve not invested the proper amount of $ into resiliency of the service and the right testing and change management. Glad I’ve moved on so quick as I knew I couldn’t trust it after going 0-2.

j2carte

Post by j2carte » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:59 am

No problem here, events and mode switches logged as expected.

pamelaantonacci

Post by pamelaantonacci » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:15 am

They'll probably discontinue it :cry: :(

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:14 am

The only thing I'm irked about is the amount of money I spent on the sensors (almost $300).

I've had Ooma since 2014 which was long before they came up with the security service. Their phone service has worked perfectly for years and I love the premier features.

I'll be disappointed if they don't fix the security service but as long as it keeps working I'll keep the phone service.

Maybe I can sell the sensors on Ebay or Amazon! Ha ha!

JPK79

Post by JPK79 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:52 am

Just got a call from the Ooma customer service agent I worked with yesterday. She mentioned the engineers fixed the issue if i wanted to try again. It was tempting, but I’ve already repackaged it awaiting to drop off at FedEx. I had to trust my gut, it’s like any arrangement that starts off bumpy, is higher risk for always being bumpy. And I can’t have bumps in my home sec! So elected to not even try it again. Nice of her to follow up proactively though, she’s out of the Philippines.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:54 am

The problem does appear to be fixed. The problem I have is that I wasted a lot of time troubleshooting for nothing if only Ooma would have admitted there was a problem.

This being said before you give up and send your hardware back this is the first time in years that this has happened, and I was one of the first users of the home security service.

Hopefully whatever caused the outage has been thoroughly researched and fixed so it will never happen again.