Issue with Geofencing on Android phone

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
Erzak
Issue with Geofencing on Android phone

Post by Erzak » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:14 am

The Ooma Home Security app recently had an update to version 1.24.15 (1100146), and since then, geofencing is not working correctly on my phone (Google Pixel 3). I have two phones tied to the account, mine and my wife's (another Android phone, different brand/model, same version of Android OS). I automatically get notifications when her phone leaves/returns home. When I leave or return with my phone, I don't get a notification until I open the Ooma Home Security app and then up pops the notification. I've checked, and both phones are set to affect Geofencing mode switches. I didn't change any settings on the app, just let it update. Any thoughts on what else to try?

OomaDigital

Re: Issue with Geofencing on Android phone

Post by OomaDigital » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:01 pm

Sounds good!

Erzak

Post by Erzak » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:51 pm

Sounds good? Sorry, but that's ridiculous. It's not supposed to work that way, and it didn't work that way until the latest update to the app.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:55 am

I gave up on geofencing years ago as it has never worked. A much better solution which I adopted is the Ooma keypad.

It's installed on the wall of my garage right near the driver's door of my car. When I leave the house I simply enter my PIN and change to away mode. When I return home I switch to home mode. The keypad has a programmable delay which is set to 5 minutes which is plenty of time to leave the garage. The garage door sensor (just a door/window sensor) is attached to the overhead door. It is set to notify after being open for 5 minutes giving me an entry delay of 5 minutes. Works like a charm and no defective geofencing to deal with.