Push notification dropout?

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
tm2019
Push notification dropout?

Post by tm2019 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:13 am

Garage door sensor has been working fine for several weeks and I have the system setup to send push notification to my iPhone and the Telo setup to make voice announcements. Opened the garage door this morning and the Telo announced it was open and iPhone received a push notification that it was open. Closed the door and, while the Telo announced the door was closed, the iPhone did not get a push notification. Checked the OOMA security app and it still showed the garage door as open even though it was now closed. Opened the garage door once again and, while the Telo then announced the door was open, the iPhone still did not receive a push notification. Closed the garage door once more and the Tele then announced the door was closed and the iPhone also received a push notification that the door was closed and the OOMA security app now showed the door was closed.

Any idea why the phone missed receiving two push notifications in spite of the fact that the Telo voice announcements continued correctly? If I hadn't been home where I could both hear and see the garage door's status, it could have been cause for concern if push notifications start becoming unreliable. Thanks.

thomasm

Re: Push notification dropout?

Post by thomasm » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:45 am

The push notifications are sent by the Ooma server after it receives the info from the Telo. The app log is obtained from the server.

You can determine where the data was lost by examining the server log. If your action appears in the server log but the phone doesn't get the push notification, the problem is probably with the push notification itself. Likewise, the app obtains it's info from the server. If the action is in the server log, chances are the app has the info.

If the Telo announces the action but it doesn't appear in the server log the problem is with the Telo or the server. In December there was a problem with the server. Notifications weren't being sent out to many customers. Ooma confirmed this when I called customer service to complain.

tm2019

Re: Push notification dropout?

Post by tm2019 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:32 am

Thanks, looks like the "unpushed" door closing & opening does not appear in the log yesterday even though the Telo announced them. The log got the initial door opening but didn't record the closing that occurred no more than a minute later. It also missed the manual opening that followed a couple minutes later, but did pick up and record the final door closing around 4 minutes after the entire sequence started. That last closing at the end of the sequence is the one that got things back in sync.

Since then the Telo and push notifications for the garage door have remained synchronized, so whatever happened appears to have been just a one time occurrence. Hopefully it stays that way! It's not possible that the system can somehow activate (by itself) the "pause all notifications for 5 minutes" selection and just have that affect the push notifications, but not the Telo's voice announcements, is it? Just a thought.

I was also affected by the Dec server issue last month, but that was noticeably different in that all push notifications failed for several days until the server was fixed and I unpaired and re-paired the garage door sensor.