Unexpected Mode Changes breech security

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
j2carte
Unexpected Mode Changes breech security

Post by j2carte » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:10 pm

My wife and I have been away from home for 2 days and just got back; looked at the log out of curiosity.

Both of our Android phones have been working fine with geosensing for several months to the point of us not checking any longer (mistake #1?). According to the log, when we left the system saw me leave but took 2 hours to see my wife leave even though we traveled 135 miles away. It finally switched to Away mode last Wednesday afternoon.

When we arrived home just a short time ago the system saw both of us arrive, BUT it had started following the Home & Night schedule on Wednesday night. The system logged that we had arrived, but it was already in Home mode from the scheduled switch this morning.

If geosensing knows and has logged that we were not here (Away), how in the hell does a scheduled mode switch override that? I've never seen this before so I suspect a recent update has screwed up things again. If you can't/won't quality check your software updates, either sell it to someone who can or quit trying to fix things you don't understand.

Ooma needs to get the hell out of the security business and let competent companies provide qualified service for damn near the same amount of money. My patience has been destroyed.

thomasm

Re: Unexpected Mode Changes breech security

Post by thomasm » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:41 pm

Geofencing is and has always been unreliable. You would know this if you read the other messages in this forum.

As I have suggested to others a much better solution is to purchase a keypad and use it to change from home to away and vice versa. I have my keypad mounted in the garage right next to the driver's door and use it to change modes. I have the exit delay set to 5 minutes and the overhead door also set to 5 minutes. This gives me a 5 minute entry and exit delay.

j2carte

Post by j2carte » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:11 pm

I also have the keypad, but how does that prevent this unexpected mode switch? It appears that the "Away" mode is ignored by the scheduler now.

That's a huge screw up that no keypad will fix.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:55 pm

The scheduler follows the instructions it was given. If the user doesn't want scheduled mode changes, the scheduler should be disabled.

It's a simple matter to just uncheck "schedule" on the modes screen.

j2carte

Post by j2carte » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:09 pm

That's one of the stupidest design decisions I've ever heard of. Why design a system that is capable of knowing when you're AWAY but then override that knowledge and make your premises vulnerable just because of a clock setting?

It didn't operate like this until a recent update. This situation is simply a display of ignorant product life-cycle management.

There used to be a joke about nothing testing like production, Ooma has proven the joke to be true.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:10 pm

Home security is not Ooma's primary focus. It's telephone (voice) service. The security service is adequate for customers who want an inexpensive service.

If you are so concerned about the security of your property perhaps a more sophisticated system is what you should invest in. Disparaging the Ooma service will not improve it. If you don't like the Ooma security service sell your sensors and discontinue using it.

I like the Ooma security service and since I was one of the first users it doesn't cost me a dime. It's not perfect and sometimes it even goes offline for a couple days like it did in December. You won't find it being used at a jewelry store or a bank. ;)

j2carte

Post by j2carte » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:10 pm

Thomas, I am in the process of finding a new provider, but I think you missed most of my points. Regardless of the product or service you are providing you must maintain a level of quality and reliability during the product life cycle once you start releasing it to customers and taking payment for it. Ooma recently announced their new focus as large scale business telecom. With their track record of product development and management, as well as customer support it may prove to be much more difficult than they envision. Unlike investments, past performance does predict future expectations in customer service and understanding product life cycle management.