Entry delay

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
Davec2861
Entry delay

Post by Davec2861 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:02 am

While I see the option for an exit delay, I can’t find the option for an entry delay. The keypad is useless to me if there is no entry delay. The door open alert setting doesn’t cut it either. I believe the door has to be left open for more than a minute for this to set off the alarm.
Any ideas?

oomamaniacal

Re: Entry delay

Post by oomamaniacal » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:28 am

I don't have Ooma Home Security, but the end of this thread might help: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=21643&p=147684&hil ... aa#p147684
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

Davec2861

Post by Davec2861 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:09 am

Hello
I tried the settings that you sent in the link. It does stop the sensor from setting off the alarm but however the door has to be left open for 1 minute before the alarm sounds so isn’t very practical. They need an entry delay in the settings like they do for exit. The entry delay should sound alarm after the specified time after door is open and only cancel if the correct code is entered

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:06 pm

I'm confused. As indicated in the thread you can program a delay for any sensor which is what an "entry delay" is. When I had my ADT alarm active two doors were set for entry delay which meant that when they were opened I had so many seconds to get to the keypad and enter my code before ADT was notified.

Now my overhead garage door is programmed to delay 5 minutes after opening before alarming when the mode is set to away which is my entry delay. I have 5 minutes to change to home mode using either the keypad, a handset, or the phone app.

So what would you have Ooma change to meet your definition of entry delay?

Davec2861

Post by Davec2861 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:44 pm

I currently have my front door set on the 1 minute delay. Exit delay is set for 30 seconds. After exit the house with the alarm set to away mode, I can re enter thru the front door and nothing will happen. No alarm will sound as long as the front door is closed before 1 minute is up. If the door is left open longer than 1 minute the alarm will sound. To me a entry delay is when you have a time frame you can enter the house and deactivate the alarm before it goes off. My old system I had 20 seconds to enter the house and enter my code or the alarm would sound weather the door was left open or closed
Now I can walk in and close the door and nothing happens.
Not sure if you are having the same problem

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:51 pm

Hmmm I never tried CLOSING the overhead door before the 5 minutes were up and not changing to home mode via the keypad.

If it doesn't alarm then you are correct it is not an entry delay. With my old ADT alarm opening the door with the entry delay started a 45 second timer. If the correct code wasn't entered in that time window the alarm would go off even if the door was closed.

In any event it is very unlikely that a burglar would attempt entry via an overhead garage door. The automatic opener would have to be broken and that chain is pretty tough. The overhead garage door is the only sensor with a delay when in away mode. Even if the overhead door is forced, the burglar would still have to force open the door from the garage to the house in order to steal anything valuable. That door has a sensor on it. The sliding patio door would be the logical choice. If the door frame remained intact preventing the attached sensor from activating a motion sensor would detect the intruder as soon as he stepped through the smashed glass. Before I purchased my house I learned it was broken into once. Entry was made by kicking in a basement casement window. The previous homeowner had the basement casement windows on the rear of the house converted to glass block. Shortly after purchasing the house I had the remaining 4 windows converted to glass block.

No matter what precautions a homeowner takes a burglar can still get in. However I am confident that my Ooma system will activate if that happens. The weak link is still the phone line that carries my internet service. I have requested that Ooma notify me when the cellular backup is available for my Telo.