Camera quit working - solid red light.

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
sbrammer
Camera quit working - solid red light.

Post by sbrammer » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:57 pm

Did anyone else’s butterfly security camera just quit working?

Just noticed this afternoon mine had the red solid light of death. It was working yesterday, but not anymore. This is the exact same thing happened to my first white one, and now with the black one, which I bought brand new from eBay on 3/22.

I’m hesitant to contact support again because of all the trouble I had about the first one.

Bill D

Re: Camera quit working - solid red light.

Post by Bill D » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:45 pm

I have 3 of them and they've worked OK for a year+, but one just stopped working with a solid red light.

A restart didn't help, so I emailed support. No reply yet, but I'm curious why you had so much trouble that you're hesitant to contact support again.

j2carte

Post by j2carte » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:05 pm

Didn't they respond to another thread about cameras : that they are no longer supported?

sbrammer

Post by sbrammer » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:56 pm

Yes, I do know they no longer sell them, but I read an article https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-tran ... cript.aspx
where they said cameras will still work for existing customers.

“we will continue for the foreseeable future to provide service to our small existing base of Smart Cam users.”

The first time I had the solid red light, I contacted support and they asked me to reset the camera up to five times. That didn’t work, and for two weeks going back and forth via email, I finally gave up because they kept saying our satisfaction is important to us, but they wouldn’t give any more support besides a reset, they kept saying since it’s out of warranty and re no longer sell them......

That’s why I’m hesitant. Plus I really think they pushed out a firmware that bricked all of them. I can still access the web interface of the cameras, the app will still identify the camera by showing a blue steady light. But it goes back to red light. When I turn it on, there is no longer sound. (Which support said needed to be enabled....i never turned it off).

But besides the camera issues, I love the sensors. I just recently added a water sensor to the mix of two doors, and motion.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:18 pm

Support called back and told me to do a paper clip reset. It still came up solid red, so they basically told me I'm screwed.

I've been an Ooma VOIP customer for over 10 years, grandfathered with no monthly fees on my 3 units, so I guess the money I've saved offsets the loss on the camera.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:14 am

sbrammer wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:57 pm
...Just noticed this afternoon mine had the red solid light of death. It was working yesterday, but not anymore....
I noticed in my log that my camera died the same day as yours. Makes me suspicious about been bricked by a SW update that was pushed to them. I'm wondering if anybody else had their camera die on the same day.

BTW my other 2 camera are still working.

sbrammer

Post by sbrammer » Fri May 01, 2020 6:51 am

Bill D wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:14 am
I noticed in my log that my camera died the same day as yours. Makes me suspicious about been bricked by a SW update that was pushed to them. I'm wondering if anybody else had their camera die on the same day.

BTW my other 2 camera are still working.
Bill,
How do you check for logs and how long have you had your three cameras?
My first white one i have had for over a year and it got bricked early on in March. So i bought a new black one on eBay, had that for three or four weeks, then it died.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Fri May 01, 2020 7:10 am

By log, I mean the dated video clips recorded when motion was detected. I have them in a busy area so motion is regularly triggered.

I've had all 3 cameras for 16 months.

sbrammer

Post by sbrammer » Sun May 03, 2020 8:06 am

Bill,
I just noticed late Friday evening my black (2nd) camera started to work all of a sudden. i walked by the camera, and heard my phone, so i checked it, and saw it was a notification that camera motion was detected. I looked at the camera and it was blinking blue as it was recording. As of today, it's still working as i moved it back to point to our back yard. Going to keep an eye on this because it's just weird that it's working now.

The other camera still not working. But at least one is working again.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Sun May 03, 2020 11:04 am

Did you change any settings or do anything else before it started working or was it just sitting there with a solid red light the whole time?

I was going to toss mine, but you inspired me to wait and see if it starts working. Maybe the problem is caused by something at the Ooma mother ship. Since these cameras are now orphans maybe nobody at Ooma is paying attention. Maybe the folks that are supposed to be paying attention are out because of the coronavirus. :D