Home Security -- doesn't need Home Phone service,right?

Discussion topics covering Ooma Home Security
peterc
Home Security -- doesn't need Home Phone service,right?

Post by peterc » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:35 pm

Hi,
Almost everything I've read at the Ooma site suggests that one can buy the different levels of Home Security, without needing to subscribe to Ooma Home Phone. Home Phone is suggested in the Home Security manual as an optional upgrade one may wish to do. Two separate products (although an Ooma Telo device is of course needed either way).

But when I was looked at whether to subscribe to Ooma Premier Home Phone service (in Canada), or just let my 3 mo trial run out, the website had a popup that says that cancelling Ooma Premier would disable Home Security unlimited sensor support, and that Ooma Basic service includes support for only one sensor.

What??? Is that some outdated text?
That makes no sense given everything else Ooma seems to say.
If true, Home Security (in any meaningful way) wouldn't really exist unless one paid for Ooma Premier Home service. That would greatly increase the monthly costs, doubling them even if one had the full home security with professional monitoring.

peterc

Re: Home Security -- doesn't need Home Phone service,right?

Post by peterc » Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:21 am

I called Ooma. They tell me that, yes, Home Security plans are independent of Home Phone. One doesn't need a Home Phone subscription to use their Home Security.

(So the one thing I read on their site that suggested one needs Home Phone Premium in order to use Home Security in any meaningful way, must have been some leftover bit of text from long ago that never got updated.)