D-Link DIR-625 off of router -- QoS settings?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
neuf
D-Link DIR-625 off of router -- QoS settings?

Post by neuf » Sun May 17, 2009 11:31 am

Hi all --

Recently purchased an ooma, and hung it off the router rather than between modem and router for a variety of reasons.

I read through some of the posts on here, but unfortunately the user interface for the D-Link DIR-625 seems a bit more complex. I was hoping someone here could help me with the QoS settings that would optimize my voice quality.

I have set up a static IP address for the ooma, if that helps.

The QoS engine rules has the following fields for each individual rule:
Priority (1-255, 1 being highest).
Protocol (Any, ICMP, TCP, UDP)
Source IP Range (a from field and a to field)
Source Port Range (a from field and a to field)
Destination IP Range (a from field and a to field)
Destination Port Range (a from field and a to field)

This seems to be a little more granular than the posts I've read (with regards to Linksys or some other routers), and I didn't know if I was putting values into the source fields or the destination fields, or if I should be entering the ooma address for source or destination or both, etc. Basically, I got thoroughly confused.

Could someone provide me with the appropriate values for the appropriate fields?

Thanks much!

AgentC

Re: D-Link DIR-625 off of router -- QoS settings?

Post by AgentC » Sat May 23, 2009 11:58 am

First off, I'm a brand new ooma client, so I have not fully investigated the unit yet, but with the QoS controls of most consumer routers, the prioritization controls are pretty basic.
Based on the options you listed, prioritizing UDP (which is most VOIP traffic) would be the only one click solution, but would prioritize all UDP traffic, even non-voice so that's not the best solution.

Recommended would be:

Priority - 1
Protocol - Any
Source IP - ooma's IP - (e.g. 192.168.1.250)
Source Port - any/all (or you can google what ooma's default port is or someone probably has it here)
Destination IP - any/all (if it offers this)
Source Port - any/all (if it offers this)

Read http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1355
for more on setup of ooma (pretty good info here)

WayneDsr

Re: D-Link DIR-625 off of router -- QoS settings?

Post by WayneDsr » Sat May 23, 2009 12:27 pm

These are the values if you need them:
UDP 1194
UDP 3480
UDP 514
UDP 49000-50000
TCP 443

I've set these as highest priority in out going traffic.

Wayne