underestanding the cause of this dropped call

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
scottlindner
underestanding the cause of this dropped call

Post by scottlindner » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:44 am

I don't know why, but all problems we've had with Ooma is when my wife is using the phone so it's hard for me to assess the cause.

She was just on the phone and she said the call dropped. I dug into it and it appears the caller called us on our landline number. The port is going through one of these days so I don't know for sure if the call came in over our landline or through Ooma. I suspect it came through over our landline. The reason she believe Ooma was the cause is it made the "Ooma sound" when it disconnected. I have never heard this when someone hangs up so I am posting to understand it more. What are the situations when we hear the Ooma sound at the end of a call?

Scott

WayneDsr

Re: underestanding the cause of this dropped call

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:33 am

Although I am not using ooma with my landline as you are, here are my observations.

One never hears the ooma tone after finishing a call because, of course, we hang up the phone. But if a caller calls you on ooma and hangs up, if you wait a few seconds you can hear the ooma tone.

It happens in reverse (when you initiate a call) but it takes much longer for ooma to sense a disconnected call.

Why do you hear ooma using your landline? I don't know except maybe that's the way ooma works, or your landline might be in the middle of transition. (hopefully)

If you have a cell phone, call your number, answer, then hang the cell phone up. Wait a few seconds and you should here the ooma tone as your wife did.

Wayne

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:13 am

The ooma sound she hears is actually the ooma dialtone waiting for her to place another call because the hub sensed the current call was disconnected. Might be good to keep track of the calls information - date and time, number called from - and if it continues, report it to ooma support for some log checking.

Just one thought - my wife and I each have our "favorite" phones. Mine is a headset phone and hers is a standard cordless handset. Scott, does your wife use the same phone you normally use? If not, there might be a problem with her phone. Beyond that it would be only guesses for me.

Keep us posted as to if it continues or was just an anomoly.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:25 am

I emailed Ooma about it so they could investigate. When I called they weren't in yet (time zone).

We do use the same phone. I am convinced it is exactly what you are describing SouthSound. The other person hung up or dropped and that's why we heard the Ooma tone. I believe our port hasn't gone through yet and I know the caller dialed our landline number. So it isn't possible that Ooma actually dropped it, right?

I checked my router logs and couldn't find anything that would indicate a problem with our ISP. After reading your thoughts on this, I am nearly convinced Ooma didn't drop, the caller did, and that's just the way it sounds when that happens. I will follow up with this with Ooma though. If they don't respond to the email in a couple of days, I will call. I'm not in a rush.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Scott