Any way to make *98 permanent???

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
JLPicard
Re: Any way to make *98 permanent???

Post by JLPicard » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:53 pm

Good Morning,

Can *98 functionality be permanently enabled for my account? Thanks!

tstarks

Post by tstarks » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:00 pm

Hello,

I would like to have this *98 option enabled permanently on my account as well. Also, I'm not sure what server I'm on, but if not on the East Coast server, can you please migrate me as well?

I'm new to Ooma, not blown away so far by the constant lag I'm seeing.

Thanks in advance!

DEMerit

Post by DEMerit » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:23 pm

Hello Tom,

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I too would like to have *98 be made permanent on my account so that the G711 codec is used for every call. I have the bandwidth to support the increased data rate.

Thanks in advance.

ErJo219

Post by ErJo219 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:29 pm

It appears there is not... Had a recent issue with call quality to Germany being really bad (had to redial up to 3 times to get half way decent connection, curiously the Ooma base station showed normal jitter, little packet loss and high MOS, despite the calls being unusable both ways).. The only way I found how to make *98 semi permanent, is to add it as a prefix into my Gigaset base station.. It allows me to determine a prefix for the land line.. just add *98 there.. You will hear the Ooma sound, followed by 3 beeps signalling the *98 dial, followed by a line signal (normal one you get when you just hit dial without a number already defined.) followed by dialing tones.. and voila you are calling with HD 711 codec. I would do the same with your fax machine if you tried to use one.. there the predial is *99. Supposedly that is not needed anymore on newer Oomas, but I am adding it here just in case you experience that issue.

DEMerit

Post by DEMerit » Wed May 08, 2019 4:54 am

In my case, I followed the advice I came across in another related thread where Ooma Forum Moderator with username "Tom" said,
Please chat/call support and ask them to set RTP_USE_ULAW=1 in the Info service.

Amitnf

Post by Amitnf » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:20 am

Hello My setting changed for codec, could you put me back to HD Codec...

set RTP_USE_ULAW=1 in the Info service. Use high-bandwidth codec (G711) for all phone calls.

Tom set me up with this correctly last.