Voice Quality Issues?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
vandergraff
Re: Voice Quality Issues?

Post by vandergraff » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:34 pm

Thanks for the response.

Yes I was trying a wired phone directly connected to the helo and the crackle was there.

I have a UPS which is used for the Cable Modem, Ooma and Wireless router. The cable modem and and wireless router are on the battery backed outlets with the Ooma on a surge outlet (not enough battery outlets on the UPS for all three).

This morning I moved the Ooma to another (non surge protector/ups) socket and the crackle goes away (maybe not entirely - but at level if it had been like this at first I probably wouldn't have thought anything of it).

While it seems to solve the issue - I would rather have the Ooma on a surge protected outlet. I live in a rural area where power is not reliable in storms etc (to the point I have an automatic backup generator that comes on if the power is our for more than 30 seconds).

Any ideas?

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:54 pm

Get a power strip that does NOT have surge protection capability and connect it to a battery backed outlet.
Connect all three devices to the power strip.
(Lowe's has them).
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

vandergraff

Post by vandergraff » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:57 pm

murphy wrote:Get a power strip that does NOT have surge protection capability and connect it to a battery backed outlet.
(Lowe's has them).
A quick update. I did this and seems to work well.

woodbutcher

Post by woodbutcher » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:44 am

I ran the VOip speedtest, and it shows that everything about my connection is compatible with voice transfer except Consistency of Service which showed 40%. A side note suggest that a Qos device called an ATA might eliminate some of the jitter in a system. Does this seem likely to help? My ISP is wireless which is not acknowledged by Ooma, but it works fairly well. So, what is an ATA?
Butch

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:23 am

ATA stands for Analog Telephone Adapter.
Your Telo is an ATA.
Connect to the setup pages inside of your Telo and configure QOS to match your ISP speed.

http://setup.ooma.com

woodbutcher

Post by woodbutcher » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:38 am

Thanks, Murphy. I have a Hub, though. Does it do the same thing as the Telo(as far as ATA)?
Butch

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:55 am

woodbutcher wrote:Thanks, Murphy. I have a Hub, though. Does it do the same thing as the Telo(as far as ATA)?
Butch
Yes the Hub is an ATA.

pramod

Post by pramod » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 pm

I had issues after I changed the ADSL modem/router from old Motorola to Cisco provided by Rogers Cable to resolve internet connectivity issues. After I changed the modem I had the lost package and jitter issues on my OOMA telo. I was without a proper phone service for quite sometime. I am an IT professional with a fair networking knowledge. I tried moving the OOMA device before and after router and rebooting all devices in a sequence. But those only helped for a short while. Then the voice quality issues returned. These problems made me think the problem might be with the OOMA Telo. I was so frustrated with complex network and OOMA device issues that I was about to return the device. I thought of calling Rogers to get the help to fix the network issue first and then to OOMA to fix the phone issue. Then I searched this forum.

I found the Ibmofo's post where he posted the step by step instructions given by thunderbird on this thread. Those instructions are great. It resolved the voice quality issue for me. I have yet to see if it resolves the issues permanently or not. Thanks to the great instructions.

I have setup Cisco Modem/Router->TPLink Router->OOMA. I setup static IP and port forwarding on the second router. I also ran speedtest and set the upstream/downstream speeds accordingly. Now I don't have the voice packet loss or hiss or jitter on the receiving end, and no time lag, echo or jitter on my phone.

I have OOMA internet connected through my IBM Network Centre and telephone output feeding to the network center. I use Panasonic DECT 6 phones connected to the wall plug and use wireless phones throughout the house.

jduffy

Post by jduffy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:32 am

murphy wrote:Get a power strip that does NOT have surge protection capability and connect it to a battery backed outlet.
(Lowe's has them).
Why would you not want surge capability on the power strip? That has nothing to do with Ooma voice quality and leaves equipment vulnerable to an electrical surge.

Duffy

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:43 am

jduffy wrote:
(Lowe's has them).
Why would you not want surge capability on the power strip? That has nothing to do with Ooma voice quality and leaves equipment vulnerable to an electrical surge.

Duffy
The UPS provides the surge protection.
The surge protection components of a strip connected to the output of the UPS do not work well with the non-sinusoidal output of most UPSs. Most UPS outputs look closer to a square wave or a triangular wave than a sine wave. A surge is not going to go through a decent UPS unless it is a direct lightning hit. In that case nothing will protect against the lightning damage.