irregular calls they can hear me but i cant hear them

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
micovic
irregular calls they can hear me but i cant hear them

Post by micovic » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:53 am

I have cox isp my hookup is modem, ooma hub, wireless router, out of my ooma hub phone jack to wall jack,
I make calls that ring 1,2 o3 times then silence, i know the other person can hear me but i cant hear them, also when answering machine picks up it goes silent.

Please help :cry: :cry: :cry: :( :( :(

lbmofo

Re: irregular calls they can hear me but i cant hear them

Post by lbmofo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:13 pm

Are you in landline integration mode? (Is your existing service's dialtone feeding into the wall port of your Ooma?)
Seems like you are distributing Ooma dialtone throughout your house; at the NIB outside the house, is your house wiring disconnected from the telephone company?
Check this thread out and see if you are in a similar situation: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10225

micovic

Post by micovic » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:48 pm

yes my phone line in house to the pole is disconnected, i am hooked from ooma hub phone connection to a wall jack so i could use a phone in another room through the phone line, (regular phone) pluged into another jack in the house in case my cordless phones battery discharges. also my(main phones) cordless phones are connected to another phone jack in the house.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:33 pm

If Ooma assigned you a number, then you are running in standalone mode. Nothing should be connected to Ooma's "wall" port. I'd try connecting a phone directly to Ooma's "phone" port and do some testing.

stevepierce

Post by stevepierce » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:46 am

This is a known problem at Ooma.

The problem is not your device nor your ISP.

And it most definitely has NOTHING TO DO WITH QoS. Though every time you call Ooma support it is the first thing they will tell you.

This is also not a problem with Google Voice Extensions however people using the Call feature inside Google Voice seem to have the most frequent problems with Ooma and not being abole to hear the person on the far end.

This is easy to test. When you get dead air after the call stops ringing, ask the person to press a number on the phone. While you can't hear them, they often times can hear your voice.

If you hear the tone from the far end, then the problem is definitely a carrier routing issue and you can't fix it. Only Ooma can call other carriers to work on routing issues.

The problem is carrier routing. Ooma has problems routing calls with certain carriers. However, not all calls to a specific carrier fail.

This is an ongoing problem since last summer. It was fixed for a while but it started back up around Thanksgiving and has been getting steadily worse.

Steve Pierce
Ypsilanti
Steve@Ypsi.com

micovic

Post by micovic » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:48 pm

i agree with the last person who posted, definately with a carrier issue because now i,m able to get the call after, i complained to ooma level 2 tech, yhey told me if 1 person complains not much will be done, but if many of us complain then they will reolve the carrierissue. yesterday was able to get ahold of the calls that usually went silent, will try again today and will try to post result.

Mick,

micovic

Post by micovic » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:47 pm

I tryed calling those umbers again today and all wend dead after a couple of rings. but 1 answered after calling 4 times.

micovic

Post by micovic » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:14 pm

Steve ,

thank you for that info, now what can we do to fix this, any idea?
Mick,

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:48 pm

The following setup corrected my dropped call problems, my one way voice conversation problems, plus several other voice quality problems that I was having:

General Outline for Setting up Ooma Behind (on Local Area Network side of) Router.

The steps below are just suggestions. Your may choose to use some or all of the Outline steps below, depending on your equipment and network requirements.

1. Ooma device:
a. Enable Ooma device’s built-in MAC address.
b. Assign static IP address (IP number obtained from your router) in the Ooma device.
c. Disable QoS in Ooma device by setting upload/download settings to zero.
d. To be used for Ooma device behind router only: If after you have configured and tested your setup per this document and you still are experiencing dropped calls, one way voice conversation problems, change your QoS upload/download settings (BOTH) in your Ooma device to at least 2000 kbps above your Internet provider upload/download top speeds, as measured with speedtest.net.
2. Verify that your router’s firmware is up to date.
3. Verify that your router provides support for QoS (Quality of Service) VoIP priority. (Some router manufactures use similar but different names for QoS), reference check router manual.
4. Enable router QoS settings as required, reference check router manual.
5. Place your Ooma device into your router’s DMZ using the static IP address you assigned to your Ooma device, reference check router manual.
6. Create in router, router rule(s) to open Ooma ports, (Setup location sometimes found in router gaming menu) reference check router manual.
a. Ooma uses the following application ports for data and voice traffic,
UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194, UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-20000, TCP 53 and TCP 443.
7. With Ooma device connected behind (LAN side of) router, don’t use Ooma home port. Use your router ports for other devices on your LAN system.
8. Do a cold boot of router.
9. Do a cold boot of Ooma device after router cold boot has been completed.
10. Optional suggestion: For new installation, test Ooma device VoIP phone system for a few days connected to only one wired phone.
Good Luck.

stevepierce

Post by stevepierce » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:49 pm

This is not a problem customers can fix. As a customer we are not able to call the the carriers to try to resolve Ooma routing and connection problems.

Only Ooma can fix this problem and like someone in a 12 step program, you can't get better until you admit you first have a problem.

Ooma will not admit they even have a problem. <sigh>

- Steve