voice quality gets very poor lately

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
markriggs
Re: voice quality gets very poor lately

Post by markriggs » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:20 am

Yes, I am about Fed up with Ooma. For no reason, calls getting dropped or mechanical sounding voice of person being called. Actually it is my wife going bonkers on me for switching over to this arrangement. Seemed like it worked fairly well for past 6 - 8 months but now it is unacceptable. And I dread calling there tech support!

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:02 am

markriggs wrote:Yes, I am about Fed up with Ooma. For no reason, calls getting dropped or mechanical sounding voice of person being called. Actually it is my wife going bonkers on me for switching over to this arrangement. Seemed like it worked fairly well for past 6 - 8 months but now it is unacceptable. And I dread calling there tech support!
Markrighs:
Just for my information, have you received Ooma Telo firmware update 47785 yet?

How is your Ooma connected, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

I'll list some things that you can do that often helps.

First:
Power off the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Second:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem. When the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.

Third:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

If you do the Java fix in your computer, instructions located at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12085. Then you can click on the Speedtest Phonepower Advanced tab, then "view test" at the bottom. Instead of filling in the blanks above, you can select CTRL+A to highlight, CTRL+C to copy; CTRL+V for paste into the Ooma Forum.

Please report back with how your Ooma is connected and with the Speedtest Phonepower results.

bohicaIL

Post by bohicaIL » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:59 pm

I've experienced the same incoming robo-voice about which everyone else has complained, and DO have the 47785 firmware as well. The only "thunderbird" suggestions that I did not have in place were 1) moving the ip to the dmz and 2) de-powering my Ooma for > 15 minutes. I'm doing both of those now.

Does anyone know what settings Ooma Customer support adjusted for those users that mentioned this? Is that still making a positive difference?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:52 pm

bohicaIL wrote:I've experienced the same incoming robo-voice about which everyone else has complained, and DO have the 47785 firmware as well. The only "thunderbird" suggestions that I did not have in place were 1) moving the ip to the dmz and 2) de-powering my Ooma for > 15 minutes. I'm doing both of those now.

Does anyone know what settings Ooma Customer support adjusted for those users that mentioned this? Is that still making a positive difference?
Since the Ooma Telo firmware update 47785, no one has reported if the Ooma server side adjustments for the incoming robo-voice are still working.

I did see where one person said that adjusting Voip priority to the highest setting (Quality of Service settings) in their router (if the Ooma device is connected behind the router), and Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream Internet Speeds, in Ooma Setup, has helped.

If I were having the incoming robo-voice problem, id contact Ooma Customer Support and see if they can make the corrections:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

If you do contact Support, let us know how you come out. Thanks.

bohicaIL

Post by bohicaIL » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:03 am

Had Mr. Roboto visit me again today, despite the changes I've made to my Ooma settings. (It was not as bad as it had been, though.) While it was happening, I checked what was going on with my mediacom cable connection; they weren't that bad with the exception of download consistency of service, which was at 68%. I've also been in touch with our cable company to see if there might be an issue with them. They have had other complaints, and the service guy told me they were planning to replace a main line. He promised to call me after the main line was replaced.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:50 am

We do have a Telo bug fix in the works (bug 11268), that we believe will improve the voice quality for connections that receive a lot of out of sequence packets. Our developers are currently working on getting the bug fix into our QA team's hands.
Bobby B

thecgmguy

Post by thecgmguy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:09 pm

Bobby B wrote:We do have a Telo bug fix in the works (bug 11268), that we believe will improve the voice quality for connections that receive a lot of out of sequence packets. Our developers are currently working on getting the bug fix into our QA team's hands.
Hi Bobby, Do we know if this will address the "metallic voice issue"? Is that a primary symptom of the bug? Or is this completely different?

-M

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:06 am

We believe it should fix some instances of metallic or robotic sounding voice. In our testing, we introduced about 30% packet loss with a large number out of order packets and we found the voice quality was much improved. It's tough to say all users who are reporting this problem are experiencing similar conditions during their calls.
thecgmguy wrote: Hi Bobby, Do we know if this will address the "metallic voice issue"? Is that a primary symptom of the bug? Or is this completely different?
Bobby B

thecgmguy

Post by thecgmguy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:41 pm

Thanks bobby. Do we have an ETA on when this fix might be available?

Interestingly enough, the problem seems to go away for a short while if the remote caller hits buttons on their phone. Not sure how or why.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:38 pm

I would guess the release with the fix is at least 4 weeks away from being deployed to the field.
thecgmguy wrote:Thanks bobby. Do we have an ETA on when this fix might be available?
Bobby B