voice quality gets very poor lately

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
jamgold
Re: voice quality gets very poor lately

Post by jamgold » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:23 am

murphy wrote:When I discovered that problem the DPC2100 went into my pile of useless parts. I installed a Motorola SB6120 in January of 2010 and have not had any more modem problems.
thanks a lot for this information. I will see if it makes a difference.

jamgold

Post by jamgold » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:46 pm

Today Ooma support "changed a parameter" on my system (whatever that means), and I have not had robot voice since. My wife put the system to the test and had a short 80 minute call with a friend without complaints.

Good job, Ooma. :D

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:44 pm

jamgold wrote:Today Ooma support "changed a parameter" on my system (whatever that means), and I have not had robot voice since. My wife put the system to the test and had a short 80 minute call with a friend without complaints.

Good job, Ooma. :D
Keep us up to date for how this works out. Because there has been several other people with the same problem and your experience may/should help them.
Last edited by thunderbird on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamgold

Post by jamgold » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:33 am

All I can say is that my voice quality problem has not occurred since 7/9 when Ooma support "updated my system". I am still not sure what that entails, but here are my settings

Modem-Router-Ooma

Router (D-LINK DIR-625) gives static address to Ooma and has it in the DMZ (QOS on router not enabled)

Ooma Version 45073
Internet Settings: Connection Type DHCP with Automatic MAC Address
Advanced: QOS Up/Down set to 50000 Kbps (which does not reflect my REAL bandwidth, btw)

I will experiment with the QOS settings some more, but am afraid to make any changes right now because it works as it should.

Uncle-Enrico

Post by Uncle-Enrico » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:37 pm

Code: Select all

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having voice quality problems. My transmission is great--so say the people I call. What I'm hearing is metallic voices,  stretched voices, delays, garbling and what sounds like other voices thrown in. This occurs within a minute or less of calling. I checked with my broadband company and no reduction in bit speed has occurred. I'm getting 10 mb/sec., more than enough broadband, I would think. Some calls are fine. Most are impossible. This all started about two days ago. If this continues for very long, I'm taking the unit back to Costco and upping my Cell minutes.  

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Uncle-Enrico:
Power off the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Next week Ooma will start pushing a new firmware version out to all Ooma Telo users. The new firmware version should help.

Next if the problem continues, and since jamgold had success with Ooma Support:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

Uncle-Enrico

Post by Uncle-Enrico » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:51 am

The reboot appears to have corrected the problem as evidenced by two calls to problem phone numbers.

Re the new firmware upload next week:

Will I need to reboot next week?
Will the firmware upload be announced on the Forum?

Should one reboot on a regular basis to take advantage of firmware changes?

Many thanks

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:31 am

Uncle-Enrico wrote:The reboot appears to have corrected the problem as evidenced by two calls to problem phone numbers.

Re the new firmware upload next week:

Will I need to reboot next week?
Will the firmware upload be announced on the Forum?
Your shouldn't have to reboot when the latest Firmware is pushed.

One of the Ooma Moderators said in answer to a post that the latest Ooma Firmware would be started to be pushed next week. Note: Now days it takes about three weeks for the firmware push to be completed. That means that you may not recieve the firmware update for a while.
Uncle-Enrico wrote: Should one reboot on a regular basis to take advantage of firmware changes?

Many thanks
Firmware is pushed from the Ooma side. Users have no control over firmware updates or the timing of the updates.

When ever you have a Quality of Service problem, the first thing to do is to power off you modem, router and Ooma. Wait 15 minute, and then repower the modem. When the modem is done booting, repower the router. When the router is done booting, repower the Ooma device. This action will correct about 95% of the problems that occur.

Uncle-Enrico

Post by Uncle-Enrico » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:36 am

Since my config order is MODEM OOMA ROUTER, should I not power them up in that order?
Thanks again.

I'm guessing that my problem which started two days ago was the result of a firmware push?

If that is so, Ooma corp has to figure out a way to inform all their subscribers, otherwise people will bolt
Last edited by Uncle-Enrico on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:39 am

Uncle-Enrico wrote:Since my config order is MODEM OOMA ROUTER, should I not power them up in that order?
Thanks again.
Yes.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx