voice quality gets very poor lately

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
thunderbird
Re: voice quality gets very poor lately

Post by thunderbird » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:12 am

browwi:
These suggestions aren’t "the fix" for the robotic voice problem, but some people have said that it helps for them.

I believe that Ooma is very close to a solution for the Robotic Voice problem.

First people has said that for an Ooma Telo, that using *98 or *96 as a prefix before dialing a number helps for out bound calls.

Second for some people doing a 20 minute power disconnect of the Ooma device, then repowering helps.

Some people say that just pressing the phone key pad help.

These setting seem to help also.
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 90% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .9 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

For the Ooma Hand set problems:

You might try resetting the Telo handset:

To reset the Ooma hand set.
1. Turn off the HS by press & hold the End/Red button
2. Press & hold the two keys: Left soft key and '0' (zero) key
3. Turn on the HS by press the End/Red key
4. Let go the keys in step 2.
The HS will goes into auto registration mode, so you may have to re-register the handset to the Ooma Telo.

If this doesn’t work, call customer service and report problem.

Late add:
View toipic viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12608
Last edited by thunderbird on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

etters

Post by etters » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:17 pm

I am on version 49339 and the "robo" issue is still very serious. I had read that version 49339 was supposed to take care of the "robo" problem. Incoming calls, at least on cell phones, very frequently are impossible to understand on my end (other caller ok). I already have done all of the fixes that helpful Thunderbird has recommended and I have excellent bandwidth, packet loss (zero), ping and jitter readings consistently (line quality A - MOS 4.40). If this is how Ooma is going to be, I have to leave pronto. Any advice for me please to this new Ooma customer??

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:46 pm

etters wrote:I am on version 49339 and the "robo" issue is still very serious. I had read that version 49339 was supposed to take care of the "robo" problem. Incoming calls, at least on cell phones, very frequently are impossible to understand on my end (other caller ok). I already have done all of the fixes that helpful Thunderbird has recommended and I have excellent bandwidth, packet loss (zero), ping and jitter readings consistently (line quality A - MOS 4.40). If this is how Ooma is going to be, I have to leave pronto. Any advice for me please to this new Ooma customer??
It looks like help is on the way. See view topic: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12608

browwi

Post by browwi » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:30 pm

Problem Solved?

I restored everything to my "default" installation settings.

I installed the new wireless adapter.

I set my QOS speed settings to 90% of the test bandwidth.

Everything has been OK for 5 days now.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:21 pm

browwi wrote:Problem Solved?

Great! Keep us posted as to how the Ooma Wi-Fi connection is working. :)

bohicaIL

Post by bohicaIL » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:57 am

browwi wrote:Problem Solved?

What version of the firmware do you have?

starsky188

Post by starsky188 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:57 pm

Check your cordless phone if you have one. I have found that the 2.4GHz phone quality would be both inconsistent and deteriorate over time. Outgoing calls were better than incoming calls but bot could be very bad at times. I borrowed a 5.8 GHz phone that was digital and it was better however, the send/recieve frequency on a 5.8 GHz phone is actually 5.8 GHz/2.4GHz respectively. That is, 90% of outgoing calls were much improved but incoming calls could still be terrible as much as 90% of the time. So what is the newest technology in cordless phones?. First Note: bigger is not better when it comes to cordless phone frequencies. The original 900 Mhz was replaced by the 2.4 GHz. The 2.4 GHz frequency got log jammed by WiFi and microwave signals. Eventually the 5.8GHz replaced the 2.4GHz but the same 2.4 recieve frequency plagues these phones. If you live in a busy city your Ooma service is at the mercy of your cordless phone especially if it is not digital (DSS rated). Now the new "exclusive communication frequency" is 1.9 GHz. I do not believe that any other phone (ie 900MHz, 2.4 GHz or 5.8 GHz) is in production anymore. The newest technology is the DECT 6.0 - 1.9 GHz. I bought the DECT 6.0 @ 1.9 GHz and my phone sounds great and consistent now with both outgoing and incoming calls.

Believe me... some days I was told that I was talking in "Morris code" and some days the sound quality was OK for at least part of the phone conversation. Ooma had me checking upload speeds, ping rates and line "jitter" for min/max and average. My internet connection was terrible with respect to Ooma's min/max "requirements". I connected the Ooma Telo inside out and upside dowm. Ooma suggested upgrading my internet service at one point because I had 240Kbps upload speed and there minimun upload speed was supposedly 256Kbps. I got Ooma to save on my phone bill so this was not an option nor was it the problem.

This may not be the answer for everyone but I suggest that you look at your cordless phone first. Borrow a phone like I did and try it out... the results surprised me.

Have a good day

Bob

bohicaIL

Post by bohicaIL » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:17 pm

thunderbird wrote:
etters wrote:I am on version 49339 and the "robo" issue is still very serious. I had read that version 49339 was supposed to take care of the "robo" problem. Incoming calls, at least on cell phones, very frequently are impossible to understand on my end (other caller ok). I already have done all of the fixes that helpful Thunderbird has recommended and I have excellent bandwidth, packet loss (zero), ping and jitter readings consistently (line quality A - MOS 4.40). If this is how Ooma is going to be, I have to leave pronto. Any advice for me please to this new Ooma customer??
It looks like help is on the way. See view topic: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12608
I still have a serious robotic voice issue with 49339 too, and even lowered my download bandwidth to 379K as that seemed to help in the past. No luck, though. For about 5 minutes of a 45 minute call, I was guessing at what was being said. I also saw Thunderbird's note about help being on the way, but now that the release notes are available for the next firmware, I don't see anything listed but bluetooth. Here's what it says:

This release will start rolling out within the next week or two:
Fix issue recognizing certain Ooma Bluetooth adapters [11787]

I know that my neighbors who are also on Ooma still have serious problems too...

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Info Only:
Trial firmware version 49977, which a few testers and some people have that have reported their Robotic voice problems to Ooma Support have had, seems to have fixed the Robotic voice issue. But it's unclear if it generated other issues? So....

Fix issue recognizing certain Ooma Bluetooth adapters [11787]
Fix additional issue having to do with robotic voice [11849]

Trial firmware verson 49977 or later version, will probably correct your problems. Maybe if you report your Robotic problem, they would also push the trial version of software out to you also. I don't know if they would do this, but it's worth a try? In any case it's important to report your Robotic voice problems to Ooma Customer Support.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

bohicaIL

Post by bohicaIL » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:08 am

Thanks for the suggestion, TB. I've done what you suggested and emailed their support, so we'll see if they push the trial firmware.