voice quality gets very poor lately

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
etters
Re: voice quality gets very poor lately

Post by etters » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:41 pm

I did specifically request Ooma CS to advance my update to version 49977 in view of the serious and continued robo problems I have had. They just said NO. NO consideration would be given to any such help. Rather, they said that all 49977 updates will be made in order of subscription regardless.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:12 pm

etters wrote:I did specifically request Ooma CS to advance my update to version 49977 in view of the serious and continued robo problems I have had. They just said NO. NO consideration would be given to any such help. Rather, they said that all 49977 updates will be made in order of subscription regardless.
Ooma Customer Service didn't seem to be friendly at all! Was it a first level person that you talked to? Maybe if you could talk to a second level or third level??? The Firmware version that will be released through the normal channels will probably not be 49977. It probably will be a later version, because of what seems to be some other issues with 49977.

I suppose when Ooma Support pushes advanced firmware copies, it for needs or at their pleasure.

jrlish

Post by jrlish » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Same here, very robotic. Not even able to use it anymore. Incident open but no resolution

bohicaIL

Post by bohicaIL » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:58 am

bohicaIL wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, TB. I've done what you suggested and emailed their support, so we'll see if they push the trial firmware.
My firmware changed today to version 50206. Since I don't see this in the release notes, could this be a trial version that I DID get pushed? Anyone know? If they pushed, they did not notify me so I could give them feedback.

I did make a long call today with this firmware without a robo hitch... here's hoping. Time will tell.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:06 am

The delta for this version included additional robotic voice fixes among other things like bluetooth adapter recognition and touchboard sensitivity items. Release note is probably coming.

Sharpnd

Post by Sharpnd » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:05 am

I am also experiencing this issue. Do I have to request to be pushed this latest version or something? This robotic voice stuff is getting ridiculous.

talkin2much

Post by talkin2much » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:45 pm

I thought I was having ISP problems that were causing OOMA call quality to drop to the point of being useless.
The ISP replaced suspect wiring but my internet connection started failing again the next day - going up and down sometimes every few minutes. To simplify further troubleshooting for the ISP, I decided to disconnect OOMA and connect my router directly to the DSL line instead of behind OOMA. As soon as I removed OOMA, all of my "ISP problems" ended - it was OOMA that has been causing all of my problems!

I was going to pitch OOMA and find another way to get VOIP service but I thought I might as well connect OOMA behind my router and see if the call quality would be tolerable. Now it's more than tolerable - it totally works! I've had 2 calls today that were almost an hour without any drops or misbehavior. I don't know what kind of problem OOMA could have that would cause it to fail miserably (both as a router and a VOIP device) when in front of the router and work fine behind it - go figure!
Current Telephone Company:
XO Communications

Original Telephone Company:
Xo Pennsylvania Inc.

Original Telephone Company Type:
Competitive Local Exchange Carrier (CLEC)

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:54 pm

I have always put my Ooma behind the router. That seems to solve many problems. Robotic voice is still a problem but should be fixed with 50206.

Sharpnd

Post by Sharpnd » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Just want to let everyone know that I emailed support asking to be put on the newer firmware, and the updated me to version 50603. I have not heard the robotic voice since being on this upgraded firmware.

bohicaIL

Post by bohicaIL » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:57 am

Updating regarding the robotic/metallic voice issue... Last week Ooma support pushed a version of trial firmware to me (50206) and I've not heard a problem since. Got them to push trial firmware also to two of my neighbors (they received a slightly later version than mine), and their connections have been great too. So this is very promising that the next official release will have that nasty, persistent issue fixed!