voice quality gets very poor lately

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
misman
Re: voice quality gets very poor lately

Post by misman » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:37 am

Set up modem-router-ooma (my VPN doesn't work when I'm modem-ooma-router)

Just made the changes suggested in the early posts and am going to see how it goes.

Download speed: 2810 kbps
Upload speed: 540 kbps
Download consistency of service: 78 %
Upload consistency of service: 95 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 113 ms
Average download pause: 11 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 64 ms
Average round trip time to server: 65 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 3360 kbps
Route concurrency: 1.1954198
Download TCD forced idle: 0 %
Maximum router speed: 8191 kbps

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:36 pm

misman:
Check for the version of Ooma Telo firmware that you have by Dialing *#*#001. The firmware version audio comes out of your Ooma Telo Speaker after dialing *#*#001 in one of your phones.

The latest Ooma Telo Firmware Update 47785, is just starting to be "pushed" out to the Ooma Telo customers, by Ooma. It take about three weeks to be downloaded to all Ooma Telo customers.

If you just received the latest Ooma firmware, or if you are having any QoS problems, try this:
Power off the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Note: This procedure only reloads your existing profile; it won't initiate downloading or updating the latest firmware. Ooma controls how and when the firmware is "pushed" to each Ooma Telo user.

flarbear

Post by flarbear » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:41 pm

thunderbird wrote: Your shouldn't have to reboot when the latest Firmware is pushed.

One of the Ooma Moderators said in answer to a post that the latest Ooma Firmware would be started to be pushed next week.
This is encouraging! I've tried just about everything on these forums to alleviate my "robot voice" problems. I have excellent internet service (it never measures below 35Mb down, 5Mb up, with all of the VOIP testers giving it an excellent rating on things like dropped packets and jitter), but I still get this problem with the incoming audio.
thunderbird wrote: Note: Now days it takes about three weeks for the firmware push to be completed. That means that you may not recieve the firmware update for a while.

Firmware is pushed from the Ooma side. Users have no control over firmware updates or the timing of the updates.
Big "D'oh!". I only have another week or so to accept or return my Ooma unit so I would really like to see if the new firmware fixes these problems before I have to fish or cut bait. Does calling Ooma support and begging help at all with forcing a manual firmware update?

flarbear

Post by flarbear » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:44 pm

thunderbird wrote:misman:
Check for the version of Ooma Telo firmware that you have by Dialing *#*#001. The firmware version audio comes out of your Ooma Telo Speaker after dialing *#*#001 in one of your phones.
Don't forget to make sure your speaker volume on the main Ooma Telo unit is on and audible. I tried this twice and heard nothing until I realized that the Ooma speaker volume was set to 0. ;)

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:50 pm

flarbear:
Other Ooma Telo users have been able to contact Ooma Support and had success with "robot voice" problems.

One user said that he contacted Ooma Support, and they made an adjustment, which corrected his problem. You should try the same.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

P.S. Bobby B. Ooma Moderator said: "This release will be rolled out to customers over the next week or two", in his update.

jamgold

Post by jamgold » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:06 pm

thunderbird wrote:The latest Ooma Telo Firmware Update 47785, is just starting to be "pushed" out to the Ooma Telo customers, by Ooma. It take about three weeks to be downloaded to all Ooma Telo customers.
They changelog says nothing about fixed voice quality, though

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:48 pm

jamgold wrote:
thunderbird wrote:The latest Ooma Telo Firmware Update 47785, is just starting to be "pushed" out to the Ooma Telo customers, by Ooma. It take about three weeks to be downloaded to all Ooma Telo customers.
They changelog says nothing about fixed voice quality, though
Ooma doesn't always list all of the "fixes" or "adjustments" that they accomplish. So usually we have to wait to how the firmware Update affects the current Qualilty of Service problems.

Have you contacted Ooma Customer Support with your problem?

jamgold

Post by jamgold » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:00 pm

thunderbird wrote:Have you contacted Ooma Customer Support with your problem?
I was the guy Ooma Customer Support "helped" by changing something in my config

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:13 pm

jamgold wrote:
thunderbird wrote:Have you contacted Ooma Customer Support with your problem?
I was the guy Ooma Customer Support "helped" by changing something in my config
Sorry. I'm rebuilding a large second story deck, and with the heat, well you get the idea.

So are you still having a problem now?

jamgold

Post by jamgold » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:17 pm

thunderbird wrote: So are you still having a problem now?
I haven't had any (noticeable) problems since Ooma support made adjustments, but considering how many people in the forums complained about the same symptoms I would have expected the next version of the firmware to fix this issue and mention it in the change log. We'll see when it drops if the robot voice returns ;)