Can't hear caller's voice on ooma to ooma call

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
trigger1937
Re: Can't hear caller's voice on ooma to ooma call

Post by trigger1937 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:14 pm

T'bird,...Sorry for one extra question. How is Ooma going to last as a VOIP service without any charges on a monthly basis or yearly basis. The one time income from the sale of hardware can not last very long, espcially since the hardware probably cost just under $100. Is there a different thread where people are worried about Ooma going out of business. Their business model can not sustain itself.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:22 pm

trigger1937 wrote:T'bird,... OK,...Thanks for the info.... but I can you explain why the upload should be 384 rather than the 420 that my system is measured at. Also, the recommendation is Zero and WHY? What is affected in the controls if we set the download to "0" which is the recommendation, when my actural is about 2500.

What also seems clear is that I really can't use my system or any of the 4 systems I have in my house for anything while I'm on the phone. If the recommendation for upload is ZERO,...why set it at 384. Why can't they just tell us how much bandwidth in needed for voice up, and for voice down and then reserve that much bandwidth all the time. Since my system now has "No packet loss either way", I should be perfectly safe with a reserved bandwidth of 50kbs up and down???????? The rest should be allocated to my systems. I understand that 50kbs is totally sufficient bandwidth for VOIP audio so long as there is minimal packet loss.
The Ooma Telo comes from the factory with the 348 number; it is only a factory default number. Almost no one would use that number. Everyone has to change their QoS settings to fit their Internet Speeds, and home LAN requirements. The recommendation for a Modem-Router-Ooma configurations is to turn Ooma QoS off by setting both the Upstream Internet Speed, and the Downstream Internet Speed to Zero. This allows full bandwidth, that is passed from the Router to the Ooma, for the Ooma Telo. For some people this setting doesn’t work. Some people have had to set their QoS settings, in the Modem-Router-Ooma configuration, to a value higher than their measured Upload and Download speeds. If you have your Ooma device placed in DMZ Plus, the values should be approximately 80% or less of measured Upload and Download speeds.

Ooma suggests that you have a minimum of 385 kbps download and 265 kbps upload for the Ooma device to function correctly.

Here's another recent thread about QoS that may help viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11766
Last edited by thunderbird on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:30 pm

trigger1937 wrote:T'bird,...Sorry for one extra question. How is Ooma going to last as a VOIP service without any charges on a monthly basis or yearly basis. The one time income from the sale of hardware can not last very long, espcially since the hardware probably cost just under $100. Is there a different thread where people are worried about Ooma going out of business. Their business model can not sustain itself.
Ooma also charges for International calling, some software, and Premier Service.

Here's an older thread http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r220382 ... iness-Plan