Can't hear caller's voice on ooma to ooma call

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
trigger1937
Re: Can't hear caller's voice on ooma to ooma call

Post by trigger1937 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:41 am

Murphy,... Since I am not directly connected to my modem I can address it or get to it. I would have to bypass Ooma and go directly from my PC to the modem. I will try that later but I think the VOIP testing I have done would supply the same info.

T'bird,... I've done the modem/Ooma reset and setting changes, and I've connected to a different internet server. However after testing again, the results were even worse. Here is some of the data;

P-norder= 34
P-Xwindow=29
P-Dup=15
p-loss= 20328

Other testing shows packets received in wrong order. I just finished testing the connection with "WhichVOIP" web site and there download speed test shows that there is considerable packet loss. My DSL input line is a dedicated CAT-5 line I installed myself, directly from outside box to the modem. It also has a DSL -Telephone filter.
I have attached some images of the Quality test of both the download speed and upload speed.
VOIP test.JPG
This is the download at 2.54mbs
VOIP test.JPG (160.07KiB)Viewed 7213 times
VOIP-2.JPG
This is the upload speed image
VOIP-2.JPG (145.71KiB)Viewed 7213 times
There is the possibility that I could get one of the newer AT&T U-Verse modems. Do you have any information to show these are GOOD modems for VOIP.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:12 am

trigger1937 wrote: My DSL input line is a dedicated CAT-5 line I installed myself, directly from outside box to the modem. It also has a DSL -Telephone filter.
Make sure th DSL - Telephone filter is not in series with the modem/router WAN side input Internet signal.
trigger1937 wrote:Murphy,... Since I am not directly connected to my modem I can address it or get to it. I would have to bypass Ooma and go directly from my PC to the modem. I will try that later but I think the VOIP testing I have done would supply the same info.
murphy wrote:Point your browser at

http://192.168.100.1

which is a web page inside of your modem. Find the Signal page and report the downstream signal level and signal to noise ratio (SNR) and the upstream power level.
Murphy is the expert in this area.

Usually you can just type http://192.168.100.1 to access your modem setup pages, with the computer connected to the router LAN port, or even if the connection is modem-router-Ooma-computer (computer connected to Ooma home port). (Computer has to be restarted after connecting with a network cable to Ooma home port).
If you have to, connect the computer directly to the modem. Be sure to restart your computer after making the connections. Post Murphy requested information.
I have seen in the past where Murphy was able to help people, with modem problems, do a reset that cleared the problems without addional costs.

As far as modems go, any good compatable modem that accepts the DSL signal should be fine.

trigger1937

Post by trigger1937 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:04 am

T'Bird,... for some reason my browser will not connect to the http://192.168.100.1 web site or modem. I guess I will have to make the direct connection. I am also on the phone with AT&T support and they have found some kind of problem with my line and are working on it. Let's hope this can fix things. However, there are some very excellent VOIP test sites on the web, but understanding the data,.. and what counts and what doesn't matter is another story. I'll do what Murphy suggest and see what results I get.

You saw the to images I attached showing packet loss in both directions, do you have any comments on that data????

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:55 am

trigger1937 wrote:T'Bird,... for some reason my browser will not connect to the http://192.168.100.1 web site or modem. I guess I will have to make the direct connection. I am also on the phone with AT&T support and they have found some kind of problem with my line and are working on it. Let's hope this can fix things. However, there are some very excellent VOIP test sites on the web, but understanding the data,.. and what counts and what doesn't matter is another story. I'll do what Murphy suggest and see what results I get.

You saw the to images I attached showing packet loss in both directions, do you have any comments on that data????
The packet loss isn't good and is probably what is causing your problems. When you said that you had a DSL filter installed, I was wondering if it was improperly installed.
Some DSL filters have an input port, then have a pass through port for the modem, and another output port for phones and other devices like printer phone FAX connections.
If the DSL filter is connected to DSL filter ahead of the DSL modem, and not connected to pass through, you may get those kinds of results. The DSL filter should only be filtering for phones or other devices like printer phone FAX connection, not filtering on the WAN side of the modem.

Here's something I found on the Internet. It uses http://192.168.0.1 to access the 5100b modem. I know you posted a 5100 modem, but this http:// address might work. (View this thread for more modem http:// addresses, viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11761&start=10)

From Internet:
"How do I setup the 5100b to connect to the internet?
1. In your web browser browse to »192.168.0.1 This address will be located on a yellow sticker on the bottom of your modem.
2. The first screen will ask you for your Modem Access Code. This also will be located on the same yellow sticker.
3. At the login screen type in your SBC/AT&T member ID and password.
4. Click Connect.
5. If everything is successful you will get a screen that says, "You Are Connected." and your Internet light will go solid green. If you username or password is invalid you will get a screen stating such. If there are other problems you will get a screen stating, "The DSL connection is down."

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:04 pm

Please email me (using the envelope icon next to my name) info (called/calling number and date/time) on recent call where this happened. It'd be useful to also note the time when you experience the audio drop out during the call.
trigger1937 wrote:I've had my Ooma Telo for about 2 months. From the very first day I have had problems with call where the audio to our phone drops out totally for 10-20 seconds.
Bobby B

trigger1937

Post by trigger1937 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:45 pm

T'bird,...first to answer your feedback. The address on the back of the 5100 is in fact 192.168.0.1. However when I try that address from my IE8 browser it connects me to my D-Link 604 router, which is the first device on my ethernet. My connection is "Modem--Ooma telo---D-link Router---PC. Inside the Router it states it's IP address as 192.168.0.1, so it has aquired this address through the Ooma from the Modem.

The DSL filter has been removed,..but I'm confident it has nothing to do with any of these problems.

I rebooted the modem and the router a couple of time and re-ran the VOIP Quality network test. The new IP address was 75.42.20.73, but the main carrier was still SBC connect. The quality was not any better.

The site was "VisualWare" voip testing. I forwarded all of the test data to them and they sent me an email explaining the results. Here is a quote from them along with the picture data they sent me.

"The test you have run is a TCP speed quality test. It is the most granular test you can run because it is conducted inside the TCP stack. The advantage is that the test is able to expose the problems and unfortunately you have a lot. You are losing data in both directions. On the downstream you can see the penalties in the TCP delay graph (orange). Data flow (blue) drops to less than 500Kbps.
Download Perf..JPG
Download Performance
Download Perf..JPG (41.56KiB)Viewed 7175 times

On the UPSTREAM the penalties are severe. 15,000 bytes are lost or discarded as unusable.
Upload perf..JPG
Upload Performance
Upload perf..JPG (27.46KiB)Viewed 7175 times
The data that is arriving outside TCP leading edge window implies a serious delay problem. This has to be faulty hardware rather than congestion. See the data summary below."
Net summary.JPG
Network data summary
Net summary.JPG (30.11KiB)Viewed 7175 times
From their comments above, it is no wonder I am loosing audio data on may of my phone calls. I am also experience a "Delay in the connection" once someone answers the phone. It may take up to 10+ seconds to hear them respond. I have contacted AT&T today and they tested the line and found sufficient problems to authorize a ATT technician to come out to my house and measure the performance of the line. This will happen tomorrow. He should also be able to test my modem.

I'll get back to this forum once I have more information.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:05 pm

trigger1937 wrote:T'bird,...first to answer your feedback. The address on the back of the 5100 is in fact 192.168.0.1. However when I try that address from my IE8 browser it connects me to my D-Link 604 router, which is the first device on my ethernet. My connection is "Modem--Ooma telo---D-link Router---PC. Inside the Router it states it's IP address as 192.168.0.1, so it has aquired this address through the Ooma from the Modem.
Many people will change one, either the Modem or Router LAN address to something else, Like 192.168.10.1 and leave the other at 192.168.0.1. That way they don't have to disconnect and reconnect network cables when access to the modem is required.
trigger1937 wrote: The DSL filter has been removed,..but I'm confident it has nothing to do with any of these problems.
It was just one of those things that had to be checked while troubleshooting.
trigger1937 wrote: I'll get back to this forum once I have more information.
You have had one of the more instresting problems, so I'll be looking forward to what is found and what the solutions will be.

Make sure you E-mail Bobby B Ooma Moderator, as he requested in his post above.

trigger1937

Post by trigger1937 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:10 am

T'bird,... Thanks again for your quick response. In my attempt to get a different Internet connection other than 75.45.4.189 I re-booted the modem and that should have set the IP address back to default of 192.168.0.1. Now if I address the router and once inside I change the IP address as you suggest I assume It will have to reestablish connection and the internet will be lost until it re-boots and connects.

Just a note about the 2nd Internet connection of 75.45.20.73,... the Route shows that there are 13 hops to get to that IP and it is a LONG way off. It is all the way to Plano, Tex,. and I'm in Northern Calif. It also indicates that HOP 5 is responding erratically, varying between 0 and 88ms and this can cause a lot of problems. HOW CAN I FORCE A MORE LOCAL IP CONNECTION, LIKE ONE OF THE ATT IP ADDRESS IN SAN FRANCISCO.

The ATT service guy will be here today between 8am and 5pm (big window) so I have no more info at this time. The data that Murphy wants and needs is IMPOSSIBLE. The loss of audio happens in mid day and is on virually every call. Yesterday when I call ATT to have the line tested, it dropped out for 20 sec with them to the point they called me back and I got a call waiting signal and answered them again, so I ended up with two connections to them. In the middle of that I lost there audio again for 15 seconds. This is what convinced them to come out and check the line. If Murphy is watching this thread then he can see the graphic data above and will know that it is not a problem with a specific phone number. The audio drop out happens all the time on any call from anyplace in the country. I have daughters in Michigan, and in Denver, and in the Bay area, and other friends that call all over California and the audio drop out has occured at one time or another with all of them, regardless if they call me or I call them or if they are on a cell phone or land line.

I'll be back later.

trigger1937

Post by trigger1937 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:18 pm

T'Bird,...The ATT tech finally showed up, but to be honest he was not experienced enough in internet setup to even address my problems. He did have one suggestion which we decided to try and that was to drop the internet speed I was using. Whe I signed up with ATT DSL they started me off with 3.0 Mbs download and 450kbs upload. After all the testing we could see that at this speed setting I was getting too many packet loss and dropped packets. plus other problem. We can ATT central and they dropped the speed to 1.5mbs and 360kbs respectively. Once they did this of course my internet connection was much slower but after testing the connection again, all of the dropped packets went away and the loss went to "0%". I have done very limited testing of the phone and so far we have not dropped audio on any call. I tested the connection calling several people and I got "Echo" on both of my first two calls. The echo only lasted for the first 5 seconds and then went away. I test the IP connection via VOIP test web site and there was good performance and no loss of packets. The problem is I am paying for the higher internet data rate,... but I can't use it. So the real question is, is 1.5Mbs down and 360kbs down good enough for VOIP usage.

The tech had no ability to test the modem,...other than to suggest I try a different modem. Other people have suggested that the Modem and Ooma and the rounter being so close to the PC could create noise. Being an Electrical Engineer I doubt this very much. The design engineers for these products know they will be close to modems, routers, wireless adapters, etc. and the design and test them to make sure there will be no interference. The know the product will fail if they are not shielded.

I've still not be able to change the address of my D-link router such that I can then address my Modem. Would you believe that both the modem and the DI-604 have the exact same default address of 192.168.0.1 I am able to get into the D-link and set a virtual address but that has not changed anything. It still only accepts the default address and therefore I can't connect to the modem direcltly.

I'll be back once I get more testing done and some new results.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:22 pm

trigger1937:
I don't much like seeing the Internet speeds lowered. Your other LAN devices my need the extra speeds.

But since you are presently at the lower speeds, one suggestion would be to buy a new Modem and test.

First test at the lower speeds, and then at the restored speeds.

If you see no improvements, and the tests look like the tests that you posted, the problem is sure to be an AT&T Internet Network problem.

And you always have the option of taking the new modem back to the store.

Another thing that you could do to try to improve your Ooma device Quality of Service, but won't help your Internet connection or if your modem is defective, is to start by accessing your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open.

Click on Advanced, first try setting your Quality of Service settings both the Upstream Internet Speed and Downstream Internet Speed to Zero. Click on Update and test. This setting disables Ooma Quality of Service and does help some people.

If that doesn't work, try setting your Quality of Service settings both the Upstream Internet Speed and Downstream Internet Speeds to 5000 kbps in each box. Click on Update and test.

The below page shows you how to change your router's IP address. (If you purchase another modem with a different access Setup Page IP address, you won't have to do this step)
Go to http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di60 ... h_lan.html. Click on Home above, then LAN at Left side. You will see you router's LAN IP address. Put in another IP address like 192.168.10.1 and select Apply below. Remember that http://192.168.10.1 will be the way that you access your router's Setup pages from now on. If you have any router LAN static IP addresses issued like to a printer, you will have to change those also. You will have to reboot your computer(s) and other devices, so that the computer etc. will receive a new IP address.