Voice Quality issues

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
dlow
Re: Voice Quality issues

Post by dlow » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:19 am

Thanks for the suggestions, here is where I am on the underwater sound issue now.

Yesterday I had version 47785. I ran the speed tests.
Up is 440 down is 17800
Jitter is 4ms
Packet loss is 0%
Ping is 22ms
I set the Qos at 400 and 1700

I had my wife call the worst number caller (Daughter on cell phone) and that was okay last night.

This AM I checked and I now have version 49339. We'll see where this goes now.

dlow

Post by dlow » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:32 am

Well my garbled voice problem is still front and center. I'm quite sure my wife will overload soon and I'll have to go back to my land line. I'm sorry to say, it was way better than Ooma.

I had great hopes for this product but, it failed me.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:42 am

dlow wrote:Well my garbled voice problem is still front and center. I'm quite sure my wife will overload soon and I'll have to go back to my land line. I'm sorry to say, it was way better than Ooma.

I had great hopes for this product but, it failed me.
Ooma Telo firmware version 49680 has been released to fix a Bluetooth problem. Although nothing is menioned about the garbled voice problem, some times Ooma will still do a correction while correcting for some other problem.

Do you have your Ooma device MAC address set to Use Built In:? If you don't, I've included the instructions below. Many times using the Built In MAC address will correct a garbled voice problem.

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem, when the Modem is done booting reboot your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Reboot your Modem. When the Modem is done booting reboot your Router, when the Router is done booting, reboot your Ooma device.

Note: Reboot means remove power, then plug power back in for the device in the order listed above.

dlow

Post by dlow » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:57 am

I do appreciate your efforts to help us all. I have done those things that you mention including all tests that are recommended. The results were within Ooma's specs but, I can't sign on my computer all the time to see why my phone isn't intelligible.

I suspect that my cable provider (Cox) is not consistent in their quality. The net of all this is that VoIP is not as reliable as the land line was. I don't like that fact but, it is true for me.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:05 pm

dlow wrote: [img] is ON
This has helped others in the past.
Try testing setting your Ooma Setup Quality of Service Upstream and DownStream Internet Speed settings to a value of about 2000 Kbps higher that the measured Upload and Download speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/.

dlow

Post by dlow » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:43 am

thunderbird wrote:dlow:
If the first QoS setting doesn't work try the next. If that doesn't work, try the next. For most people, one of those setting have worked.

Give us a report on how it comes out.
At this point I give up. This is a poor substitute for clear communication. I know my cable provider is probably the problem (Cox) but, I can't keep trying to kick a dead horse in regard to Voice clarity.

I'm going back to a land line, next week. I'd rather pay for clarity than stick with Ooma.

Your help is still appreciated but, I give up!

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:26 pm

dlow:
Trial firmware verson 49977 or later version, will probably correct your problems. Maybe if you report your Robotic problem, they would also push the trial version of software out to you also. I don't know if they would do this, but it's worth a try? In any case it's important to report your Robotic voice problems to Ooma Customer Support.

Trial firmware version 49977, which a few testers and some people have, have reported their Robotic voice problems to Ooma Support have had, seems to have fixed the Robotic voice issue. But it's unclear if it generated other issues? So....

Fix issue recognizing certain Ooma Bluetooth adapters [11787]
Fix additional issue having to do with robotic voice [11849]

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST