Voice Quality issues

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
jrb451
Re: Voice Quality issues

Post by jrb451 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:01 pm

I too am experiencing similar problems with my Ooma. The wife said today that she experiences voice quality problems (on our end) in 9 to 9.5 calls out of 10. I checked the Internet speed and it's just fine. Please offer something that will help. Nothing I've tried so far works.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:47 pm

jrb451 wrote:I too am experiencing similar problems with my Ooma. The wife said today that she experiences voice quality problems (on our end) in 9 to 9.5 calls out of 10. I checked the Internet speed and it's just fine. Please offer something that will help. Nothing I've tried so far works.
If you are experiencing the Robotic Voice problem, there is a fix in the works right now. The problem is on the Ooma side, not in your home. The fix is being tested right now and is expected to be released in a few days.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:00 pm

jrb451 wrote:I too am experiencing similar problems with my Ooma. The wife said today that she experiences voice quality problems (on our end) in 9 to 9.5 calls out of 10. I checked the Internet speed and it's just fine. Please offer something that will help. Nothing I've tried so far works.
If you haven't, wouldn't hurt to check out this: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11651&start=30#p82913

DTR

Post by DTR » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:08 pm

Tbird,

I sure hope your right and the fix is coming in the next few days. I haven't had but two weeks of decent service during my almost one and half months of elapsed trial period.

I'm close to throwing in the towel...... Can't even use Ooma to any degree, nor rely on it as a actual working communication device. But my Telo and it's handset sure looks good sitting there!! I dust it often!!!

jamgold

Post by jamgold » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:34 pm

Since this morning (during the outage my Telo got updated) I have firmware version 48460 and have been on several lengthy conference calls without Mister Roboto.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

DTR

Post by DTR » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:40 am

I still have firmware build 47785 in my Telo. I wish I had your version so I could test and wear it out..... Maybe I will get updated soon!!!

paladin252

Post by paladin252 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:52 am

are you guys getting the beta firmware or something? i checked the forum where they post the changelogs and i see nothing about any new firmware.

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:31 am

The last step before a general release of new firmware starts is to push it to some randomly selected users to see if any problems are detected.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

ajw522

Post by ajw522 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:11 pm

Yes! I can't wait to get the new firmware. I've been having conversations with Mister Roboto on a daily basis for quite some time now, making me use Skype very often. I am looking forward to returning to the great call quality I've been used to with Ooma.
Customer since August 2009
Hardware: Core Telo w/ HD2 Handset;2 ooma Hubs
Lifetime Premier Subscription
iPhone 7 Plus w/Ooma Mobile App
Internet: AT&T U-Verse 50Mbps

thunderbird

Re: Voice Quality issues Robotic Inbound Sound

Post by thunderbird » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:27 pm

Below are some things to try, for the Robotic inbound voice problem, if you have the time and patience to try them. No guarantees.

I have my Ooma Telo connected after my Router and use Upload and Download speed set to 7000 kbps. I have never experienced the Robotic Inbound Sounds.

I wonder if the Robotic Inbound Sounds have a relationship with higher bandwidths.

Since Ooma seems to be having difficulty finding the “Sweet Spot” for their firmware corrections for the Robotic Inbound Sounds, try the following:

There are two things that may be worth trying.
One would be to set your Ooma Setup Quality of Service Download Speed to double the measured download speed as measured with http://www.speedtest.net/. This setting should make sure that there is no bandwidth restriction?

If that doesn't work, try setting the Ooma Setup Quality of Service Download Speed to 385 kbps. That speed is what Ooma says is the Minimum required for the download speed.

If the Inbound voice sounds garbled, but not robotic, increase the Download Speed by 5 kbps, and test again, etc.

If the Inbound voice sounds Robotic, decrease the Download Speed by 5 kbps, and test again, etc.

These settings may slightly restrict the download speed, helping to keep packets in order?

Please report your findings.