Telo Firmware 48460 now 50832 to fix Robotic Voice Problem

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
dsinternet
Re: Telo Firmware 48460 Reported to fix Robotic Voice Problem

Post by dsinternet » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:15 pm

I remembered that I turned QoS on awhile ago to see if that would get rid of the digital robotic voice. Tonight I turned all the QoS setting off on my router and make two simultaneous 30+ min test call using both the non-beta Telo and the beta Telo and it sounded great. I am hoping I fixed my problems. Once again, this is the best quality sound I have had in 6+ weeks.
Update on August 31...the digital robtic voice came back.
Last edited by dsinternet on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:02 pm

bohicaIL wrote:Was finally on a long (also long distance) call today, and with this download setting I did have a robotic moment that lasted several minutes. It occurred about 20 minutes into the call. The sound quality overall seems tinny too, but I could live with that if I didn't get distortion.
try setting the Ooma Setup Quality of Service Download Speed to 385 kbps. That speed is what Ooma says is the Minimum required for the download speed.
I'll reduce it by 5kbps next.
Have you had a chance to test your latest settings?

bohicaIL

Post by bohicaIL » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:09 am

I've been on one reasonably long call (30 minutes) while running 380kbps download, but the call dropped on me (I believe our internet provider hiccuped, as the day before they had done maintenance work on a cable) so I discounted the results. The voice quality was clean up to that point, though. Hopefully more results tomorrow.

Today (Friday, 9/2/2011) I was on a call for 45 minutes without any robotic or other distortion (running 380kbps download). We did have a major cable replacement that our HSI provider did, though, so I'm not sure if that contributed to this success or not. I think I'll again clear my QOS settings in my Telo to let the router do the work, and see if the problem is still gone. Won't be on a long call again, though, until next week.

Saturday, 9/4, with QOS in Ooma Telo back to 0, had bad robotic sound quality again. So again set the Telo to 380kbps download setting.

Monday, 9/5, with Telo set at 380kbps had some robotic distortion about 20 minutes into a 40 minute call. Guess I don't know what conclusions to draw anymore...

jamgold

Post by jamgold » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:05 pm

By now I have firmware version 49015 and had no robotic voice myself, but my wife is yelling at the Ooma (me) right now because the connection is "breaking up". As far as I am concerned there is no conclusive result for my firmware yet whether it fixed the robotic voice or not.

What confuses me most is a change in behavior without any reproducible configuration changes. As others reported, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, even though the local Ooma config has been the same.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:35 pm

jamgold wrote:By now I have firmware version 49015 and had no robotic voice myself, but my wife is yelling at the Ooma (me) right now because the connection is "breaking up". As far as I am concerned there is no conclusive result for my firmware yet whether it fixed the robotic voice or not.

What confuses me most is a change in behavior without any reproducible configuration changes. As others reported, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, even though the local Ooma config has been the same.
Since you have the new Firmware version 49015, it is probably reasonable to think that Ooma made changes on their side, that you may have to compensate for on your side. You may have to change your Quality of Service settings, in Ooma Setup, if your connection is Modem-Ooma-Router, or in your router and Ooma, if your setup is Modem-Router-Ooma.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:42 pm

bohicaIL wrote:
I've been on one reasonably long call (30 minutes) while running 380kbps download, but the call dropped on me (I believe our internet provider hiccuped, as the day before they had done maintenance work on a cable) so I discounted the results. The voice quality was clean up to that point, though. Hopefully more results tomorrow.

Today (Friday, 9/2/2011) I was on a call for 45 minutes without any robotic or other distortion (running 380kbps download). We did have a major cable replacement that our HSI provider did, though, so I'm not sure if that contributed to this success or not. I think I'll again clear my QOS settings in my Telo to let the router do the work, and see if the problem is still gone. Won't be on a long call again, though, until next week.

Saturday, 9/4, with QOS in Ooma Telo back to 0, had bad robotic sound quality again. So again set the Telo to 380kbps download setting.

Monday, 9/5, with Telo set at 380kbps had some robotic distortion about 20 minutes into a 40 minute call. Guess I don't know what conclusions to draw anymore...
Have you gotten the new Ooma Telo Firmware version 49015 yet? If you have, it will change what you are trying to do.

Otherwise if you still have time and are still interested, try fine tuning by setting the Telo down by 1 kbps steps.

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:55 pm

jamgold wrote:
I have had the same setup for 19 + months, I think it should work with my same setup even with a new update. If Ooma needs me to change my setup then they need to let me know. My system worked well for the first 19 months and things went bad in July. Ooma has not said to change anything so I am not going to change.

bohicaIL

Post by bohicaIL » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:11 pm

Have you gotten the new Ooma Telo Firmware version 49015 yet? If you have, it will change what you are trying to do.

Otherwise if you still have time and are still interested, try fine tuning by setting the Telo down by 1 kbps steps.
I still have 47785. Will try to go lower, but probably no long calls for a few days now.

Still running 47785. Yesterday, 9/8, was on a 20 minute call with download speed set to 379kbps. Call was clean throughout, but it might not have been a long enough call to be conclusive.

Today, 9/10, was on a 36 minute call with download speed still set to 379kbps. Again, call was clean throughout. Also, still running 47785 firmware.

9/12, another clean 16 minute call with download speed at 379kbps. Firmware still 47785.

9/16/2011 was on another long call (40+ minutes), and once again it was clean for entire duration. Above configurations still in effect.

Today, 9/23/2011, got firmware version 49339, so have again set my download speed to "0" to let the router control my QOS. Will see how this version performs.
Last edited by bohicaIL on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

zakrzep

Post by zakrzep » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:05 pm

bohicaIL wrote:Thunderbird:
I'll give this a try. It might take a while before I can conclude anything, but we'll see. I tend to think what dsinternet says is at least partially correct, because I too can have periods where there is no problem. But I also think that the changes you recommended and I had made at least reduced the severity of the problem for me when it does happen.

Ironically, when I first got Ooma back in February 2010, I would have no problem with incoming voice but people to whom I was talking would frequently say they could no longer understand what I was saying. Then Ooma introduced "pure voice," and that solved my outbound voice problems. This newer problem, the robotic/metallic/distorted incoming voice issue, probably began about 6 months ago, but I can't recall for sure. At its worst, I cannot understand what is being said. (But as I mentioned, I do think it's better for me at the moment.) When it's happening, the person to whom I'm speaking has no trouble understanding me.

This is my exact same experience.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:18 pm

bohicaIL wrote:

I still have 47785. Will try to go lower, but probably no long calls for a few days now.

Still running 47785. Yesterday, 9/8, was on a 20 minute call with download speed set to 379kbps. Call was clean throughout, but it might not have been a long enough call to be conclusive.

Today, 9/10, was on a 36 minute call with download speed still set to 379kbps. Again, call was clean throughout. Also, still running 47785 firmware.
Keep us posted. Thanks for the testing.