Telo Firmware 48460 now 50832 to fix Robotic Voice Problem

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
thunderbird
Telo Firmware 48460 now 50832 to fix Robotic Voice Problem

Post by thunderbird » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:33 pm

Firmware release 48460 is reported to fix Robotic Voice Problem, Bug 11268. See post below:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11844&start=20

Re: Voice Quality issues
by jamgold » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:34 am

Since this morning (during the outage my Telo got updated) I have firmware version 48460 and have been on several lengthy conference calls without Mister Roboto.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

jamgold
Last edited by thunderbird on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DTR

Re: Telo Firmware 48460 Reported to fix Robotic Voice Problem

Post by DTR » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:12 am

Well this is just one person reporting this, but I hope it is the fix.

Now how do I get it. Can i power cycle my telo and make it come on down, or am I at their mercy of when I get it?

Thx

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:03 am

DTR wrote:Well this is just one person reporting this, but I hope it is the fix.

Now how do I get it. Can i power cycle my telo and make it come on down, or am I at their mercy of when I get it?

Thx
New firmware updates are "pushed" by Ooma. Ooma controls the update schedule. The Ooma customer has no control when they will get their firmware update.

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:28 pm

48460 has not fixed the robotic voice for me. If anything it made it worse. I have had the Ooma Telo for almost two years and this has been the worse 4-6 weeks ever. It has gotten better the last two days, but it's still not like it use to be. Looking forward to the next firmware update.
Last edited by dsinternet on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

DTR

Post by DTR » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:22 am

Well that is absolutely bad news in my opinion......

I had my trial start and about two weeks into it my firmware changed..... and so did my inbound audio quality. Guess they won't get a fix out before my trial ends....

Does Ooma keep all it's customer base in a rolling firmware situation? Do they not have Beta customers that they have a Beta Agreement (and thefore know they have the technical ability to provide proper feedback) to help them test their new builds? Is there not major releases done after extensive testing, or is it common for them to "Baby Step" the firmware with fixes and new features? I don't want my phone to be a test bed for firmware roll outs all the time. I would rather have a couple major releases a year and stay on a field proven build until the next release is completely tested in an Alpha, Beta and Regression enviroment.

I am the Director of Research & Development for a very large communications company (15+ years), and I have to oversee the development and testing stages of Hardware, Firmware and Software which uses many different conversions and transfer means. If the stuff doesn't work right... it's my head on the line!! Not to mention the possible loss of life of a Police Officer, Fireman or etc. We learned very quick with the last Trunking Radio Protocol development we did, that minor releases were killing our product perception to the customer and end users (sometimes not the same in Land Mobile Radio). It was wearing out our coders with too many baby fixes that they couldn't steadily move forward with coding the new features. We shifted to do more in the code and have major releases, while keeping the bulk of the systems out in the field on a known stable build. This also allowed us time to put more effort into the various testing stages. Many developers fail to acknowledge the very important process of Regression testing, to ensure that working/existing systems and festures won't be broken if the new release is loaded into stable systems. It's too easy to test the new feature (or simple bug fix) alone and send it out the door, and not look if functionality was impacted somewhere else in the code. This is a way more important test than checking out the new feature functionality in the release. It is also the most involved and time consuming of the testing stages. Therefore a lot of Developers skimp on, or bypass the complete testing of each and every aspect of the legacy functionality in a release. A very time consuming process if done properly! One that's a pain in my side all the time.

I'm not sure what Ooma does except for what I see as a consumer of the product, and what I read here. Yet it seems that they roll out new firmware on a regular basis, rather than have a couple major releases a year. This can't leave too much time for complete testing in each stage (Regression, Alpha, Beta).

I really want Ooma to work for my situation. I hope they get us something soon that will fix the inbound robotic, garbled (or whatever you want to call it) audio.
Last edited by DTR on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:48 am

Ooma has alpha and beta testing. They once stated the sequence but I can't find it.
The robotic voice is not a universal problem which makes isolating the root cause much more difficult.
I have been an Ooma customer since January 2009 and have never experienced the problem.
Have you notified Ooma in a timely manner (same day) of the date, time, time zone, duration, and the calling and called phone numbers. With the exception of Ooma to Ooma calls they have to rely on many traditional brick and mortar phone companies for call completion. Companies like Verizon, AT&T, Quest, etc. I doubt those companies put much priority on helping Ooma since Ooma is taking their customers.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:46 am

I know Ooma has beta testers and I will point out that I have not had any major issues in the past (only at the end of July and beginning of August). I have notice a great improvment over the last three days and the Robotic Voice has only showed up after long calls of 30 minutes or more. It use to show up within the first 5 minutes. My current problem is dropped voice from the other party. The other party can hear me, but I can't hear them. Sometimes I wonder if my modem is bad. Could it be something on my end? Difficult to say since my problems seem to be getting less feedback on the forums. In the past I have had the same problems as many many other people and Ooma would get it fixed quickly with the next firmware update. I state every little problem on the forum since the everyday users seem to have the best solutions and the Ooma people monitor these forums so I know they hear me even if they don't reply. I love my Ooma and have saved tons of money using them. I still tell people weekly about this great company called Ooma and recommend it to them.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:17 pm

dsinternet wrote:I know Ooma has beta testers and I will point out that I have not had any major issues in the past (only at the end of July and beginning of August). I have notice a great improvment over the last three days and the Robotic Voice has only showed up after long calls of 30 minutes or more. It use to show up within the first 5 minutes. My current problem is dropped voice from the other party.
I posted a couple of thing to try for Robotic voice. Because I have never had the inbound Robotic Voice problem, I have no idea if they will work. You need the time and patience to try them.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11844&start=20 page 3.

dsinternet wrote: Inbound dropped voice:
The other party can hear me, but I can't hear them. Sometimes I wonder if my modem is bad. Could it be something on my end? Difficult to say since my problems seem to be getting less feedback on the forums. In the past I have had the same problems as many many other people and Ooma would get it fixed quickly with the next firmware update.
Inbound dropped voice:
Remove power from your Ooma device for 15 minutes. If you think that the Modem may be defective, remove power from the Modem also. Then repower the Modem first, then repower the Ooma Device when the Modem is done booting.

You could also run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your Modem and Internet is doing, and post the results.

Make sure your phone is functioning properly. Test using different phone.

If those two things don't work, remember a while back when several people had this very same problem? In most cases the fix was to have Ooma Support make corrections at their end.

dsinternet wrote: I state every little problem on the forum since the everyday users seem to have the best solutions and the Ooma people monitor these forums so I know they hear me even if they don't reply. I love my Ooma and have saved tons of money using them. I still tell people weekly about this great company called Ooma and recommend it to them.

DTR

Post by DTR » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:24 pm

thunderbird wrote:
If those two things don't work, remember a while back when several people had this very same problem? In most cases the fix was to have Ooma Support make corrections at their end.
So how do we get Ooma support to respond. I've opened two support tickets.... called them and emailed them to follow up and nothing!!!! No response at all..... no email back to me, no call back to me, no nothing!!!! I was told on the second ticket that it was being escalated to a higher tier of support, and that I should be expecting an email in regards to my issue. And I received nothing!!!!!

How has ooma made it this long with this kind of service and product. Is there enough folks signing up to offset the follks dropping off, and it's a revolving door of the same thing all the time? I guess that's why they sell refurbished equipment..... they have plenty of it returned during the trial period to be able to offer a refurbised line of products. I'm beginning to believe that Ooma has greater issues than the garbled/robotic problems. It's obviously one of the least of their worries, as they won't even contact us back about it.

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:14 pm

My Telo did much better today. Only 1 dropped call this morning and almost no digitized voices today. The only digitized voice came 35 minutes into a 60 min call at 9:31pm CST and only last 1 min. I have not changed anything on my end, but things have gotten better every day during last 3 days.
Interesting note. Yesterday the phone went digital also 35 min's into the call. But I had to hang up yesterday since it did not recover even after 5 minutes of more talking.
So 35 min's into the call is the magic digitized number.