Static Only on Incoming Calls

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
thunderbird
Re: Static Only on Incoming Calls

Post by thunderbird » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:44 am

bobboothe wrote:Did anyone figure out a resolution for this problem? I'm suddenly having the same issue out of the blue.
Is there anything that can be done or does it fix itself?
Please list you area code, (but not your whole phone number).

First:
Power off the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Second:
For testing and isolation, disconnect all phones from the Ooma device. Remove power from your wireless phone base. Connect only one corded phone to the Ooma device's Phone port and test.

Third:
For testing and isolation, setup Modem-Ooma-corded phone only and test. This means that the router and all other LAN equipment is unpowered and disconnected from the Modem-Ooma test setup.

Forth:
Last resort, Contact Ooma Customer Support:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm

Jharte

Post by Jharte » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:17 am

Sorry to reply to an old thread, but this started happening to me a couple of days ago. It then degraded to the point where callers couldn't even get through - all they heard was the "all circuits are busy" recording. I checked this morning and calls are getting thought again (at least for the moment), but there is still a ton of static.

I determined that this was only happening to Verizon callers, and of course Ooma (no)support immediately pointed the finger at Verizon. I called Verizon customer (no)service and their rep faithfully followed their flowchart and pointed their finger back at Ooma.

I am suspicious that this started happening only couple of weeks after the Ooma Telo device's warranty expired. We had absolutely no issues for a year and nothing has changed here - same ISP, same router, same phone, same everything...

mikepmoon

Post by mikepmoon » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:25 am

I'm having the same issues. Static only on incoming calls, clear and no problems on outgoing calls. You can see the Caller ID ok when someone calls and the phone rings, however, when you pick up there is only static on Ooma end - on caller end, there is nothing but the phone ringing sound (no connection ever takes place). Takes about 3-5 minutes for line to "reconnect" on phone connected to Ooma in the house (all phones in house react the same). Have rebooted everything, and tried the modem-ooma connection with no change in static/connection problem. Is this indication of a bad ooma box or something at the server end?

Mike

bobor

Post by bobor » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:24 am

Another late reply to this thread.

I’m getting the same issue here where I’m hearing a tremendous amount of static only for incoming callers. Outgoing calls from my Ooma teleo are crystal clear according to the call receivers.

The static is severe enough that I’m unable to make out complete sentences with caller voices breaking up.

I’ve tried connecting the phone directly to the ooma unit with the same result.

I’m located in Markham Canada (just north of Toronto), area code 905.

Not sure, but from reading this thread these issues either resolve themselves or never get resolved(?) as there doesn’t seem to be a solution documented in the thread.

sdarisi

Post by sdarisi » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:40 am

I do not think that this static is isolated to you. Were you able to resolve the issue?

My outgoing calls work fine. Incoming calls ring my phone but when answered, all I hear is loud static. I became aware of this issue sometime last week when I heard about this exact same experience from another Ooma customer who is personally known to me but resides in a different location than me. He indicated that multiple device resets did not fix it.
From my experience, reset does not work the normal way either. The blue speaker icon at the top edge comes on and stays for a few minutes before the reboot process starts. Sometimes, after the static filled call, the Telo resets by itself.

Not sure if Ooma pushed out a bad update, has network issues, etc. but it appears that this problem is not isolated. Will have to call Tech Support and see what they can help with.

JR0046

Post by JR0046 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:54 pm

HI
I have been having the same problem (area code 819) for a year now.
System: Telo, 3 HD3, one wired Panasonic (and wireless remotes) plugged in the Telo, 6 sensors paired.
no problem with outgoing calls, only on incoming calls.

Summary: (meant for somebody at OOma who cares)

I get a ring, a picture, name and number, I answer and... (no static but) complete silence. i.e NO connection
A: sometimes, the caller tells me that they hear me saying "allo..allo..etc"
other times the caller hears ringing tone for ever. In both cases, I hear nothing
B: this happens at random, often (30%) when I answer with a HD3, less often (15%) when I answer with another HD3, and
so far about 5% when I answer with the Panasonic.
C: Customer service in only acting as master of ceremony for the following ceremonial
" unplug the modem - unplug the telo - wait - replugs - watch the reboot sequence until the icon is and stays blue"
D: during the March to June confinement: it never happened!
E: the wired phone gets a ring tone immediatly, the HD3 needs 1 or 2 seconds, and the other HD3 takes 5 to 6 seconds to wake up.

Ooma had sent me a telo replacement, and no difference
I had also bought a telo air, using wifi, same problem.

Cheers