Static Only on Incoming Calls

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
b3goldens
Re: Static Only on Incoming Calls

Post by b3goldens » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:08 pm

I have the same problem....just started today - have had my service for over a year and made no changes...

DTR

Post by DTR » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:50 pm

Are you guys using a Telo or a hub? Also what firmware version are you running?

Thanks

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:02 am

For the Static probem, nomally static is caused by a phone, on your end, or the other end of the phone conversation.

But in this case it seems to be different because serveral people are having the same problem.

Please list your Ooma phone number Area Code and the other party's Area Code.

Also please list your Internet provider.

Late add: don't post your full phone number, only the area code.
Last edited by thunderbird on Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Isabella17

Post by Isabella17 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:23 am

Our area code is 919. I know one of the phone calls from out of the area was 817. Thanks to someone using our number on one of the 'loan websites' last week, we have been getting dozens of phone calls from 800 and other non-local phone numbers. I do not know their area codes and even if they were 800 or not. We have had probably 3 or 4 since the static called yesterday.

Our internet provider is Earthlink through Time Warner Cable (so basically TWC)

I would also note that this is worse than any static I have ever heard from a bad cell phone reception or anything. And since it starts before we even pick up our Ooma phone, it would appear to not be the phone like you said.

Thanks.
Last edited by Isabella17 on Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

triton46

Post by triton46 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:26 am

DTR

I am using the Telo with firmware: Version: 47785

thunderbird,

I do not want to list my home number in a public forum. I live in the 919 area code and only get static (so far) on numbers calling me from that area code. My internet provider in TWC. The other party called me from 760 area code.

I had my wife do a speed test yesterday when I called and heard the static; download speed was 19MB/s and upload was 0.9MB/s.

Isabella17

Post by Isabella17 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:08 am

triton 46,

It is interesting that we both have a 919 area code. Can't be a coincidence. We also did a speed test and it came out fine. (I had to reread his post before I realized he only wanted the area code and not the whole number - the whole number was my first thought also)

While I don't mind the static when those stinkin' loan companies call looking for someone else, they will keep calling back until they can hear me say 'the phone number was wrong!'.

triton46

Post by triton46 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:51 am

OK, looks to be working again. This morning my wife saw the "antennae icon" blinking on the Telo. I assume an update was sent to the box. I can now call home and not get any static during the ring or when talking to someone at the house. :D

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:48 am

Looks like a few customers in the 919 area code reported the same problem with static on inbound calls -- we're taking a look.
Bobby B

berriesandnuts

Post by berriesandnuts » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:47 pm

I thought I should post that I have sometimes a lot of static and I am in area code 845 and my ISP is TWC.

bobboothe

Post by bobboothe » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:10 am

Did anyone figure out a resolution for this problem? I'm suddenly having the same issue out of the blue.
Is there anything that can be done or does it fix itself?